Re: Look in your bathroom sink.

On 06 Sep 2005, Don wrote

With a levee, wouldn't that be expecting the water to drain uphill?

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Inside the front edge is a hole that lets the water run back down into the

> drain, an effort to prevent the sink from overflowing if the faucet is left > on and untended. > Couldn't they do that with a levee? > >

So where will the overflow run to......a sink's outlet is lower than the bowl........in NO, the bowl has no outlet

Reply to
P. Fritz

Hi Main reson for the water lock are to keep out the fumes from the drains , --- it is true though that there are systems that will stabilise say a barge hull, without an pump,ofcaurse better with ballast pumps still when you ask " what the hell to use a bargebridge hull for nomatter it will float in 2 feet water and ballasted will configure a mountain BUT if I projected such universal auxilery you could move with a horse , what would it change ???? . ------- That's what is god being a boatbuilder, that you know fishing boats with this feature build in more then 100 years ago so I can say "ha you lame ships designers you don't even know the basic boatsbuilding and how build in stabilators been working for centuries" ;)) Then when you go promote a spledid new way to fabricate a standard family house, so the basic structure will be there after whatever, something that realy are an alternative compared both strength , cost and technology soon the only new way to make so many different things in a more clever structure ,even this are the only lead left , you still will wonder how it could be to late. Listen would it have been to great a sacrifise to dump even a number of newbuild ships no. Then next design requist would be stronger cheaper houses and hover steel barges to bring to the spot and fill up with concete.

Reply to
per.corell

Sorry forgot a link to show a different barge bridge, just a small change in design would provide a bridge or a propelled barge 7 in a line will build a bridge with all difficult enginering steel calculations, carried by the cheap water. a bridge at a third or less of the cost ;

per.corell

Mile of levee at 1/8" per foot???? Pumps?

It would be better to move everyone to Baton Rouge :-)

Reply to
P. Fritz

Hi We don't use pm. reading the clock, in Dk. the clock show 12 hours midnight are 24.. starting new day after midnight start being one oclock , 12 is mid day , you I have a working boat around one of those I used develobing computer programs doing boats, but then what ---- it is a spledid mahogony Lofoten dinghie standing outside in the yard ,and yes I lived 29 years on different ships and boats of my own ,the longest living for 16 years on a 36 tonn northsea vessel, I got pictures of it all ---- but isn't this what I said ; even I show a great design, that could block a hole in a levee, even the same barge in a row with others could form a easy bridge, would carry a unique stabilising ballast system and cost nothing compared other solutions , then heaven _must_ be repaired with floataway sandbags, ---- even anyone can see the houses must be made stronger by design and this call for a digital solution, then you question my ability ? Look again and please ansver me, if you would think such one would be to heavy a sacrifise, if droppped at the right time saving the lot !

Reply to
per.corell

A good idea.

I'm pretty sure they already do something similar with dams - overflow sluices prevent the dam from becoming overloaded

The problem with doing it for the levees around New Orleans is that you'd have water draining -into- the city. The question then is: where should the water go when it gets into the city?

In Houston we have flooding problems, and our freeways are designed to take the floodwaters, drawing them away from neighborhoods and houses. (They figure, and I agree, that it's better for peoples' cars to be flooded than their homes).

This is one option.

Another is to perhaps allow the basements of buildings to flood - except in New Orleans do the buildings have basements?

Maybe someone else has ideas?

Reply to
Adam Weiss

Overtopped would be the problem not so much load.

Do the freeways then take it away? Does the flooding in Houston come from finite sources? In NOLA there is no "away" and the sources are relatively infinite.

Speaks again to the finite aspect of incoming water. In Phoenix we get the occaisional dump of rain. There are a lot of catch basins around. Build a parking lot here and dig a hole there. But that's because we know that we need to store 2" of water off half an acre and can fit it in that hole over there. Digging a hole at the bottom of the ocean (putting water in a basement in NOLA) gives you a hole full of water at the bottom of the ocean.

From what they say about NOLA being under continuous pumping under normal circumstances, from the whole burying people above ground thing... they probably don't have basements.

Wasn't the Mississippi channelized to avoid flooding problems? Isn't the silt dump from the channelizing blamed for increasing flooding in NOLA?

Reply to
gruhn

How big?

See other post re: "finite source".

If the Gulf is pouring in to your hole in the ground, the water isn't going to "run downhill" it will need to be pumped. Back in to the Gulf. Which is pouring in to your hole in the ground.

Hearing of reports of the regular pumping that goes on to keep NOLA dry, then some system - designed more to the particulars of their situation - was in place.

I'd worry about the system you describe being already full of water at any time in NOLA. It would be below a very wet water table.

Reply to
gruhn

Or better.

Giant sponges.

A friend of mine did a masters thesis that put giant sponge like water collectors in the landscape. When the area flooded, the water collectors suck up the water using capillary action, and big canopies come out like umbrellas.

I'd do it one better. Instead of having that water push canopies out, why not have it trickle back down, through a series of filters, and collect into tanks for drinking water.

And if the system generated enough water pressure on the way down, then the water could turn turbines to generate auxilliary power before it reaches the filters and tanks.

Reply to
Adam Weiss