Event The Therapy Rooms

If you live in or near London you may be interested in this event. Details are below

The Therapy Rooms - building esteem or housing discontent

7pm - 8pm

Tuesday 27th February 2007

Tickets: =A38 (=A36 concessions)

Venue: Room G02, Bartlett School of Architecture, 22 Gordon Street London WC1H 0QB

Nowadays, buildings are credited with changing our behaviour, promoting our welfare, and addressing intractable social problems. For instance, it has been argued that large windows in schools improve results; natural ventilation increases productivity in offices; well- designed homes and neighbourhoods prevent anti-social behaviour; healthy sports stadia reduce spectator obesity; and hospitals with soothing decor help people get better quicker.

No doubt some places do make us feel good, but how transient is this response? Are we over-claiming for the practical benefits of design? Should we argue for well-designed environments even if they don't improve productivity, health or self-esteem? The question is, have we lost the nerve to argue for decent buildings and services in their own terms or must there always be a feel-good factor?

SPEAKERS:

Sarah Hill, head of research, British Council for School Environments

Adam Sampson, chief executive, Shelter

Ann Furedi, chief executive officer, BPAS

Matthew Carmona, head of the Bartlett School of Planning

Dave Clements, freelance journalist at Guardian Online, adviser in children's social care

Chair: Austin Williams, director, Future Cities Project

For tickets: 07957 534909 / snipped-for-privacy@futurecities.org.uk / visit

Please send cheques, made payable to "Transport Research Group" and post to: Future Cities Project, 45 St Lawrence Court, De Beauvoir Estate, London, N1 5TP

Reply to
martin.earnshaw