Building Code

At the risk of sounding extremely cheap, would anyone out there happen to know of a site or happen to have a copy of the Manitoba Building Code on there computer?

Thank-you for any information,

-=Johnny=-

Reply to
Johnny

Try the local Manitoba library.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

try municode. Don't know if they do Canadia.

Reply to
gruhn

Actually I was looking for a copy of the code to purchase, I'd rather own then rent. But thank-you for the idea.

-=Johnny=-

Reply to
Johnny

Johnny:

The Manitoba Building Code use the Canadian Building Code as its base with local amendments. Here's link to those amendments:

Bob Morrison

Thanks Bob, I'm not to sure where my brain was.

-=Johnny=-

Reply to
Johnny

To supplement Mr. Morrisons posts, we're building a cabin in an R1 residentual area in BC. We only need part of code, section 9, pgs

269-442, and 10 pages of Appendix for snow load etc. and most of that doesn't apply but it depends on what you intend to build and how. It's worth the read (make notes) because it may have some good points you didn't foresee.

Unfortunately, in our area, the so-called "western construction" method, using compression loading is the only approved method unless an engineer approves otherwise, but you may get away with beam hangers if necessary. We got a photocopy of "9" from a friend. Regards Ken S. Tucker

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

If you would happen to have that copy of Section 9 on your computer at all, I would be grateful to receive it. The reason being that all I need is Housing And Small Buildings section (#9) for now.

Thank-you for the reply,

-=Johnny=-

Reply to
Johnny

John, I explained, I got photocopy.

This oughta be available on the net because it's a regulation and some good stuff, contact your MPP or MP and bitch. In this day and age, that should be freely available on the net, unless the printers are bribing the politicians to keep it off, in which case pay the bribe, and vote against the crooks, i.e. vote for new crooks. Sorry canucks are corrupt and suck. Ken

Reply to
Ken S. Tucker

R1 likely is your zoning and has no relevance to BCBC 1998. to OP, try the gov't website or provincial queen's printer, to order a digital copy.I use the published BCBC and have not yet investigated whether BC has a CD version and I won't be since a new code is due out in a few months and then I will consider a digital format. ron

Reply to
Ron

Does that explain why I found a copy of the NBC online at (heh heh) the Canadian *LEGAL* Information Institute? The code is copyrighted by the National Research Council - I hardly think they would allow it to be online without some sort of royalties.

But at least we only call ours the NATIONAL building code, whereas the US has the INTERNATIONAL BC (still only applies to US jurisdictions). :-)

Reply to
Roarmeister

MuniCode??? That's a Saskatchewan based Code services and inspection company.

Reply to
Roarmeister

Manitoba amendments to the NBC, Ventilation, Plumbing, and Fire Codes here

NBC 1995 online (warning: check to see if this is up to date)

Roarmeister

The short answer - the collective. (And I don't mean the Borg)

The long answer: the NRC has a page about the copyright issue:

Copyright/Permission to Reproduce Non-commercial Reproduction Commercial Reproduction Reproduction of multiple copies of materials on this site, in whole or in part, for the purposes of commercial redistribution is prohibited except with written permission from the Institute for Research in Construction. By granting permission on a case-by-case basis, IRC attempts to ensure that this information is as accurate and current as possible. To request permission to reproduce materials on this site for commercial purposes, contact: xxxxxxxxxxx And then there is all the provincial jurisdictions as they adopt the Code.

American and Canadian copyright law isn't too dissimilar, but even though Codes are essential compilations and developed through consensus and imperial testing (in short there is a whole pantheon of stakeholders), the actual text CAN be copyrighted. Even though it is published as a benefit for all.

Reply to
Roarmeister