Latest threads in Architecture and Designshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Disaster Housing
There's a house for replacement housing after disasters being tested in New Orleans. It uses sheets of steel with insulation between them and a strong frame. It can stand high winds and is not prone...

Home plans
Tell me the total price for a 9,000 sf living, 7,000 sf accessory, 4 story custom residence on 120 acres in upstate New York including all structural drawings, EMP's, energy calc's, sealed by a NY...
1
1

Doomsday Architecture.
"Fear sells better than sex"... guy sounds like he's making a good buck selling bunker space. Ken http://news.yahoo.com/doomsday-shelters-line-kansas-missile-silo-035247086.html
4
4

Experts
Got a spare 10,000 hours laying around you ain't usin'? Well get usin' it and become and expert at something for the first time in your miseable existence. No wonder I ain't a rock star, I only spent...
2
2

Call for participation: Measuring Urbanity, International Seminar & Workshop, Lisbon, May 7th-12th, 2012
Measuring Urbanity (please visit for detailed information) International Seminar & Workshop Lisbon, May 7th-12th, 2012 FAUTL - Faculty of Architecture Technical University of Lisbon Seminar Measuring...

What happened?
This place used to be pretty busy, what happened? Looks dead in here, but I still see some of the old regulars. How's the architecture biz going where you guys are at? Pretty shitty here, for me it's...
25
25

The Architecture Meltdown
Sometimes you have to do a back flip and look at it from the other side. ....and let go of the ego. http://www.salon.com/2012/02/04/the_architecture_meltdown/singleton/

Internal Multi-Room Views
Is there an architectural term (eg, "vista") for a situation in which a building is arranged so that (with all doors open) you can view multiple rooms, one through another, in sequence, at once? That...
7
7

Cottage in Everest Window Advert
Does anyone know the location of the black and white cottage that appears in the Everest Window advert? Thanks

balloon framing question
This is hard to describe without a pic but I will do my best..... After removing the plaster from a first floor wall I saw that the 2 x 4 studs run from the basement clear up to the second floor and...
4
4

Trying to Remember a Dutch Futurist Architect's Name
I'm trying to recall an architecture book I saw in the late 1990's, paperback, with very odd futuristic building drawings - I've managed to forget the title of the book and the author's name but I do...
3
3

Natural Architecture design.
Large south windows should have a sun screen outside. North windows can be quite cold in the winter unless you can get triple glazed windows. -- Ron
4
4

tambor paneling ??
I am looking for something which I remember being called tambor which was like paneling with slots in it that made it easy to attach brackets for adjustable shelves.........
1
1

Monks' Fishing House
Cong Abbey - Wikipedia http://www.flickr.com/photos/67165210@N00/2242552742/http://www.focuspocus.org/prints/fishing-house.php
4
4

Contradiction between modern and ancient architecture
I've seen several posts or blogs talking about modern and ancient architecture. The theme is to criticize the modern architecture design. They even use the phrase "architectural myopia". In my...