Internal Multi-Room Views

Is there an architectural term (eg, "vista") for a situation in which a building is arranged so that (with all doors open) you can view multiple rooms, one through another, in sequence, at once?

That is, when standing in room A, you can both see and look through rooms B and C to room D?

(One might want to widen the farther doors, but that's another problem.)

Reply to
mimus

Railroad style. As in railroad apartment layout.

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

Or shotgun style as in shotgun house

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

Or enfilade as in "an enfilade is a suite of rooms formally aligned with each other"

Reply to
Pierre Levesque, AIA

The professor has spoken. :-)

Reply to
creative1986

HmMm, that's probably the closest architecture gets me, although as one would expect from architecture it implies deliberate design, and also linearity.

I have an analytical situation in which computer-generated multi-(say)- chamber forms are viewed internally and sequentially from their several chambers, eg

A(B(C)(D))

is viewed from B as

B(C)(D)(A)

from C as

C(D)(B(A))

and from D as

D(C)(B(A))

I've been, not entirely happily, calling these "eversions".

I may adopt "enfilades", in spite of the reservations above.

Thank you.

Reply to
mimus

Years ago, I did a project where there were wide circulation spaces between all the rooms but because of the width (8 feet) and because the spaces were all wide open they couldn't really be called hallways. So we settled on the term interstice spaces to describe them. I.E. the space between two spaces.

Pierre Levesque, AIA

..

HmMmm, "panoramas" . . . not quite the same, but . . . .

(I'd been leaning back toward not "eversions" but just "versions".)

Reply to
mimus