WWing sites in NYC?

Anything woodworking related that I should make a point to see while I'm in New York City? I'll probably hit the MoMA to see some of Sam Maloof's work, but other than that I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for any ideas you have.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

The elevators in the Chrysler Building.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Lobby was closed, but I could see marquetry on the doors that looked nice. MoMA was an absolute madhouse so I didn't go in this trip. Not much ww'ing was seen other than the furniture in Crate & Barrel.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Yep - that looks like them! Pretty nice for an elevator!

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:28:44 -0500, the infamous Tom Watson scrawled the following:

or around. Too busy/gaudy, ie. Art Deco.

-- To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive. -- Robert Louis Stevenson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you're into marquetry, try the Met (Metropolitan Museum of Art). I wish I could remember the details (and the Met's web site is useless), but there's an entire room done in marquetry, brought over from Europe somewhere.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Second the Met recommendation. They have a ton of furniture from all periods and styles. One of my favorite all time pieces is there. I called the Met and the curator was very helpful - sent me all sorts of information on the piece, pictures, articles and all.

RicodJour