Writing words in wood = pyrography?

Page 1 of 2
Hello all.
I want to create a few presentation awards for fellow thespians and need a way to write on the wood words along the lines of "Presented to ...."
My penmanship has degraded further from it's sorry state pre computers with the advent of the laser printer, so I doubt I would be happy with burning the text freehand using the pyrography tools I've seen. Further, I don't need to burn the text on there as long as it can be seen and read once hung on the wall.
Short of getting someone more skilled than I to do it or affixing a brass plate, what are my options?
TIA
Mekon
"Mekon" wrote:

<snip>
Makes a good scrool saw project.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote on Monday :

Writing 20 words four times with a scroll saw? I'd be dead before I finished! :)
Mekon
You might consider taking it to a sign maker and having them paint it on, or a pinstripe artist. Kate
Lew Hodgett wrote on Monday :

Writing 20 words four times with a scroll saw? I'd be dead before I finished! :)
Mekon
Mon, Oct 22, 2007, 10:29am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.hotmail.com (Mekon) doth sayeth: Writing 20 words four times with a scroll saw? I'd be dead before I finished! :)
If you're gonna repeat the same thing over and over, or just want to burn your logo or whatever, no prob. Make a branding iron. No biggie. You need a piece of brass about 1/8 thick. (hobby shop) ferric chloride eching solution (radio shack) paint and small brush or a felt marker. Paint, or draw, the design on the brass backwards. drop in echant until thel design is raised quite a bit. Then wash it with water. and remove the paint. (NOTE: I have NOT done this; however, I have used a similar [or the same] etching solution to etch glass [for glass it is a paste, apply with a small brush], using stencils. Wear rubber gloves [don't forget and scratch your nose or rub your ear], rinse under cold running water, use common sense; just remember, this is at your own risk. You can use a large electric soldering iron for heat - braze, or silver solder, the branding iron on. Or afix to a steel rod, and head with a propane torch. I'd say put a wooden handle on. No biggie. If I ever change my mind about just gluing a business card on the bottom or inside of whatever, I'll make one for myself. If I run across a piece of brass, may just make one anyway.
J T was thinking very hard :

Thanks for that,
I'll look ino it
Mekon
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in

I have done something extremely similar to this... etching my own PC board. (In fact, I'm preparing to make a few more. It's not the 20 minutes in the etchant that's important, it's the 120 minutes spent preparing that are!)
Ferric Chloride is something to read up on before you do anything with it. It stains fast and permanent, and I'd never use it in a container that would ever be used for food, even after a thorough cleaning. It will etch away metals quite readily, and it seems to me there's something about glass... If you take the time to read up on Ferric Chloride (take a look at some of the PC board making sites), you can handle it safely and effectively.
With the method JOAT described, you may run in to problems with the etchant eating around your paint. I don't have a solution for this, but maybe someone else does.
Puckdropper

Wed, Oct 24, 2007, 8:28am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: <snip> you may run in to problems with the etchant eating around your paint. I don't have a solution for this, but maybe someone else does.
The last time I etched anything was 50+ years ago. Used some type of tar, I believe, and etched a nicely intricate stag, in a large aluminum tray. Didn't eat around the "tar", and came out great. But, if I try this, and I believe I will, my answer to it eating around the paint, would be that I would be willing to make more than one, to get a good one.
Which got me to thinking. I know I said brass, but that's something I read. Don't know when I'd come across some brass, but already have some steel pieces. I'm thinking that would work as well as brass. Hmm, now just gotta think of a design I'd want, then get me some etching stuff.
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:29:08 GMT, Mekon

Depends on how thick they need to be. If the wood is 1/2 inch thick or less, you can stack cut four of them and only cut once. Of course, that assumes you already have the saw.
Bob McConnell N2SPP

You can use a laser printer to print a mirror image, and iron it on the wood. You can then use this as a guide - and trace the ink with a burning pen.
After serious thinking Maxwell Lol wrote :

That's a neat idea, thanks! :)
Mekon

Got a Dremel? make a template with a kid's plastic stencil kit and rout it with the Dremel..
If you're handy (pun intended) you can print the sentence on paper and trace over it with a stylus or hard pencil, then rout or burn it..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

You can also use a printer to print your text, pierce it with a needle for an outline and then take a finer dremel or flex-shaft bit and indent the writing. Label strips also work well. I prefer a stippling technique for this and, if done carefully, the results can be more graphically impressive than pyrography. For an added touch, you can paint the wood for contrast before doing the engraving.
Regards,
Edward he
"Mekon" wrote...

The previous responses can't be correct, because they don't involve getting new tools or machinery.
Why not get a nice pantograph - make one template, then rout them all out. Save the template for future use. Here's the pantograph setup I use:
http://www.tjwoodworking.com/IMGP0665.jpg
http://www.tjwoodworking.com/IMGP0667.jpg
HTH
-- Timothy Juvenal www.tjwoodworking.com
VibraJet submitted this idea :

ROFL!
:)
Mekon
Show off! *grin*
Kate

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

If that is the way you want to go, then a CNC controlled New Hermes is the gold standard.
Lew
Mekon wrote:

Have you thought about using a laser engraving service?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

no, not really, I wanted to do it myself.
Mekon
I have never been all that impressed with wood burning, mine or others.
Laser etching is impressive, but I know you want to do your own thing and maybe you want to buy new tools. Here is an idea:
Stop at a local head stone company. Buy a small piece of bounce sheet. Cut your design and writing out of the sheet. Talk it over with the sand blaster at the headstone outfit about digging the letters or digging the background. See what he would charge for doing the sandblasting or buy a small harbor freight set and compressor.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .