Writing in / on wood

I need to put a 7 letter word on a wood project (a stepstool) made of birch ply. I'd try engraving it with a Dremel, but my handwriting is ridiculous. Is there any such thing as a set of lettering templates that would stand up to being bumped by a spinning Dremel bit? Other solutions? The lettering needs to be about 2" high, but not necessarily fancy. If the result is inset letters, I'd paint the indented areas to contrast with the surround.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Call around to a local trophy award, plaque or sign shop. You could probably find one that would engrave it for 5 or 10 dollars.

Reply to
LP

Hey....that's a really good idea. Thanks. Mind if I steal it? :-)

ridiculous.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

How about a router mounted on a pantograph? Course, if the stepstool is already assembled it could be tricky... I've got one from Sears that included a few pictures as well as, I think, 2 sets of letters to get you started.

From Sears's web site: Sears item #00925187000. $55.00. Maybe eBay can get it lower.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Thank you. I was going to include in my question the fact that this could be a one-time thing, but who knows? I own at least 20 tools that were one-time use items, but turned out to be otherwise. What the hell....why not another? :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I hadn't thought of that, but now that you've reminded me, I've used dry transfer letters and decals for stuff like that. Topped with poly in those days. I'm not sure how they would fare with shellac or lacquer. Worth a try.

Reply to
Silvan

I have used iron on transfers with good success. Get the iron on paper at an office supply store, make what ever design you like on the computer, print it out and iron it on, and cover with some poly. Obviously you will want to do a test on scrap first. Hope it helps.

John D.

Reply to
John D

And how would you get said finish coat to stick to the wax?

Reply to
Silvan