Wow, that coffee is strong!

This is only on topic because many of us drink coffee and it does involve wood. I went to my administrators office a few minutes ago and got a cup of coffee from one of those instant dispenser brewers that use the individual cup cartridges. I added sugar and grabbed a wooden stir stick which became limp shortly after I started stirring and within a minute, the wooden stirrer broke apart. No noticeable knots in the wood. I'll still drink the coffee- it's part of my circulatory system - but I wonder what it would have done to a plastic stirrer.

Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

Better'n weak coffee. Tried the new "premium roast" at McDonalds, yet? (I had a coupon for a free 12-ouncer) Limp-wristed, blouse-wearin', poodle-walkin' brown water. "If it's worth doin', it's worth overdoin'." Tom

Reply to
tom

Aside from all the other huge reasons to live in Canada, Tim Horton's coffee is as good as any other reason and certainly world class. In the bigger cities there are special wings attached to most hospitals especially designed to treat those who have gone more than 24 hours without their 'Timmy'...and to treat those who suffered severe beatings, knife wounds or gunshot wounds for bad-mouthing 'Timmies'.

Rrrrroll up to Win! (The rim of the coffee cup has prizes printed on it...it's not a slogan for a new condom...)

Robatoy

Marc:

It probably would have done the same thing to a metal spoon! Machine coffee is even worse than 'roach coach' coffee! Get one of those little 2 cup coffee makers for less than $10 at Wal-mart and save some miles on your stomach!

Jay

Reply to
Jay

AKA Road Crack. Addiction is serious.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

When I got into better coffee I realized just how bad Tim's actually is. I think they lace it with narcotics or something.

My ultimate cup of coffee so far was "celebes kalossi". It was fantastic. Tasted even better than it smelled.

Unfortunately I've since gone back to the same place, even bought the beans and brewed it myself, but have been unable to duplicate the experience.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I like the kalossi (I assume you're going to the Broadway Roastery?) but lately I've been mixing Indian Malabar and Kenya AA beans 'arf & 'arf.

Try the kalossi with 1/4 to 1/3 Tanzania Peaberry beans added. The peaberry has a hell of a caffeine kick.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Personally, I think it's in the cream. We brew their coffee at home (my wife works there), and it's not the same. I think their cream must be 18% bf, or more.

For those of you who don't take cream in your coffee, I don't see the appeal to Timmie's coffee. :)

As far as the "salon" coffee goes, that's one of my peeve's with the place in our office building. It's just not consistent enough. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it tastes burned... The whole "hand-roasted" thing isn't all it's cracked up to be, IMHO.

Reply to
Clint

I am surprised at the popularity of Tim Horton's, a few years in the past I too would have voted there with my dollars. I find that they (TH) have become a victim of their success, the coffee is often bitter, the service is poor and the attitude is rotten. Off course I am in the Alberta corridor, Calgary to Edmonton, business is so successful here that most feel they can now dispense with service. Sorry to be so negative about them (TH) but they have really gone downhill. jesse

Reply to
Jesse

Jesse wrote: :>r : I am surprised at the popularity of Tim Horton's, a few years in the : past I too would have voted there with my dollars. I find that they : (TH) have become a victim of their success, the coffee is often : bitter, the service is poor and the attitude is rotten.

You sure you don't mean Starbuck's?

To relate to RAM: Anyone read Aaaron Elins' Twnety Blue Devils? The main scam, I swear, is lifted from what Starbucks actually does.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

My grandmother had an aluminum pot that always sat on the woodburning kitchen stove at their farm in northern Minnesota. She would dump some grounds in, wet them down really good, boil the hell out of it and toss a spoon into the pot. If it sank, she would add more coffee. jo4hn, whose sphincter still clenches when I think about it.

Reply to
jo4hn

Sounds about right. My favorite is the campfire coffee made in a porcelain coffee pot that sits at the edge of the campfire all day. When ti gets low, add more grounds and water, let it come to a boil and add some egg shell to settle the grounds and move a bit farther away from the fire. After about two days of this, you have real coffee.

Reply to
Robert Haar

You should post this to alt.coffee.......put on your flame suit first!

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

A friend of mine owns 2 Tim Horton franchises and I assure you, that his coffee at his house tastes no different than at one of his outlets. He assures me it has to do with 190+(?) degree water... calibrated. Personally, I use a French press when I drink coffee, which isn't all that often. I'm a green tea man.

Robatoy

On 3/27/2006 10:37 AM marc rosen mumbled something about the following:

I start my morning at work with a triple espresso of Sumatra. Yes, we have those Flavia machines at work. This is after my half pot of coffee I have at the house before hoping on the motorcycle for my 1+ hr commute to work.

Reply to
Odinn

... snip

Down here anyway, I've noticed over the years that as a company or store becomes more popular and starts to advertise more, the quality of its products go downhill proportionately. They have to pay for the advertising some way, and most of the time it appears to be by shaving off quality. It doesn't start out as much, but a little here, and little there later, and pretty soon they are as mediocre as the competition they once had outshined.

Mark & Juanita

You don't like burned coffee? Starbucks made millions on it.

Reply to
CW

Half-caf mochalattechinochais with a twist? At 4 bucks a pop? Where do I sign?

Reply to
Tim and Steph

They do sell regular coffee. Believe me, I've gagged on it. They have to put all that crap in it to hide the taste.

Reply to
CW

Charbucks, as I always called it.

Mike