Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

Page 5 of 6

Yes. I had a POS Wen jig saw. I did finally did the right thing--threw it away.
Dave

Were those the square looking aluminum body tools?

Somebody, and it may have even been me, years ago, bought an electric WEN chain saw. That POS was certainly in the running for the prize. Ugh! Wouldn't cut anything right.
Patriarch

As I told my son --
Me: Do you know what you get when you buy cheap tools?
Son: No, what?
Me: Cheap tools.

That's a lesson I've learned pretty well. My current chain saw is a Stihl. It replaced a Homelite that only lasted 20 years or so.

I don't have a major need for a chainsaw, just a little trimming now and then. A few years ago I came across a WEN electric chainsaw at a garage sale for $5 so I bought it. For me it does everything I need a chainsaw for. The big problem was finding a chain for it as the old one was dull and had been badly sharpened more than once. Nobody had the chain or even the specs for the chain. Finally (after I had really stopped trying to find a chain) I found one hanging on a wall at an older hardware store. It was in an old dirty package and was on clearance at 75% off. The guy was amazed that I bought it and said it had been on that clearance rack for a couple of years. He went in the back to see if they had any more, but it was the only one. Anyway, as I have never used any other electric chainsaw I don't have any comparison, but this little WEN (with its new chain) does what I need (even though that ain't saying much).
Dave Hall
JimR wrote:

Or as prefer to say, "When you need to use something that's very sharp and spins at 15,000 rpm only a couple feet from your face, DON'T BUY THE HOUSE BRAND!"
FoggyTown

Had a Wen soldering gun. Put together a fair number of Heathkits with it.
: Had a Wen soldering gun. Put together a fair number of Heathkits with : it.
    Wen was that?
        -- Andy Barss
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:28:25 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

Actually, that was wen I was quite a bit younger than now.

That was when we were all running around in loin cloths made from animal skins. :>
Me? I remember when there were no animals.
R. Pierce Butler said:

God, is that you?
Greg G.
4ax.com:

I work as well as any other deity. Better than most in fact. (:>)
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

cthulhu, is that you?
--
BigEgg
Hack to size. Hammer to fit. Weld to join. Grind to shape. Paint to cover.

Prepare to be eaten. :>
http://esr.ibiblio.org/index.php?p 5

Can I offer you a WEN jig saw? Been on the shelf for at least 20 years (it never could cut a straight line). Hank
Henry St.Pierre wrote:

The WEN tool I remember is a 1/4 sheet sander. I think it had the same motor as the old electric football games that vibrated up and down to move the plastic player across the games playing surface. The sander even had an adjustment on the front to set the amount of vibration.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Anyone hankering to get a vintage WEN tool?
http://albany.craigslist.org/tls/223843383.html
On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 21:45:40 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"

There was a line of absolute crap tools about 25 years ago that were big, blocky looking and all silver, I guess brushed aluminum. I had the jigsaw as one of my first tools and it was unusable.
I didn't buy it, but I have had the frustrating experience of using one of the new B&D jigsaws with the plastic wheel for locking down the baseplate, which completely ruins the tool. A wing nut would be vastly better.
I have a triangular detail sander that I dind less than useful. That seems to be the consensus on these, unless it's a Fein.
5" rotary sander for $25 from Grizzly. The vibration murders your hands, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to keep it from going wobbly and wrecking the wood. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I think I understand the concept of the sander, and this thing doesn't do it. Maybe I got a lemon.