Worst POS Tool You Ever Bought

Actually, that was wen I was quite a bit younger than now.

Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That was when we were all running around in loin cloths made from animal skins. :>

Me? I remember when there were no animals.

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

God, is that you?

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

How could they "ruin" a B&D jigsaw? I've got one I bought a few years ago for a one-off job, and it is the most useless POS there ever was. Can't wreck something that is already broken beyond repair.

Reply to
Prometheus

Greg G. wrote in news:1q8ej2tfu96aivbv86fls3oiqk35beqhes@

4ax.com:

I work as well as any other deity. Better than most in fact. (:>)

Reply to
R. Pierce Butler

It makes the blade go up and down, which I suppose would make it able to cut something, if the stupid footplate would stay put.

Reply to
boorite

I used a B&D jigsaw until I replaced it with a Bosch. The B&D was a definite POS. It had a thumbscrew that held the blade in and reciprocated with it. If you put your finger on the footplate to try to guide the cut and keep the saw from vibrating off the work, every once in a while, as soon as you let your guard down, that GD thumbscrew would smash you right in the finger nail. I hated that tool.

In comparison, the Bosch is like a fine surgical instrument. It cuts smooth and true and is totally easy to control. Mine is an older model and was made in Switzerland. I am not sure if they are still made there and if the quality is still as good, but this is a great tool.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

My old one (1979 or so vintage) died the death the other day (or at least broke a part that Bosch USA doesn't seem to have--I have a British friend who on his next trip is going to try to get it from Bosch UK) and I replaced it with a new one. The new one seems better in every regard--cutting quality is the same (couldn't get much better), it has more power, better blade control, improved ergonomics, and the best blade-change I have ever seen on a jigsaw.

Reply to
J. Clarke

As I told my son --

Me: Do you know what you get when you buy cheap tools?

Son: No, what?

Me: Cheap tools.

Reply to
JimR

"JimR" wrote in news:_PTZg.11703$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

That's a lesson I've learned pretty well. My current chain saw is a Stihl. It replaced a Homelite that only lasted 20 years or so.

Reply to
Patriarch

You would think that would be the case. But as I found with an equivalently poor Crapsman jig saw, just making a blade go up and down does not necessarily mean that the blade will actually *cut* wood. The Crapsman I had appeared to more or less vibrate and scream the wood out of the kerf. I'm not sure how such a simple process could be screwed up, but Sears's manufacturer figured out a way to do it. Thing wouldn't even cut pine even when equipped with good high quality blade.

Mark & Juanita

Nova wrote in news:JRsZg.5355$AR6.5341@trndny02:

Can I offer you a WEN jig saw? Been on the shelf for at least 20 years (it never could cut a straight line). Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

Probably made by Black and Decker, with the Craftsman name slapped on the case. :)

Gotta love the way the blade tilts to 45 degrees the second it touches wood. Never a non-mitered cut with a B&D.

Reply to
Prometheus

I don't have a major need for a chainsaw, just a little trimming now and then. A few years ago I came across a WEN electric chainsaw at a garage sale for $5 so I bought it. For me it does everything I need a chainsaw for. The big problem was finding a chain for it as the old one was dull and had been badly sharpened more than once. Nobody had the chain or even the specs for the chain. Finally (after I had really stopped trying to find a chain) I found one hanging on a wall at an older hardware store. It was in an old dirty package and was on clearance at 75% off. The guy was amazed that I bought it and said it had been on that clearance rack for a couple of years. He went in the back to see if they had any more, but it was the only one. Anyway, as I have never used any other electric chainsaw I don't have any comparison, but this little WEN (with its new chain) does what I need (even though that ain't saying much).

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

My rule of thumb when I used to shop there was to ask myself .. Is there any possible way they could screw this up? They surprised me by figuring out a way to screw up jigsaw blades, pliers, screwdrivers, and other stuff.

Their pipe clamps are ok (not quite as smooth as ponies). I got a nice heavy grinder stand from them, one good hammer, and a lot of $$$ worth of useless crap. I know I have a net loss with them in terms of "savings".. When you have to toss a lot of the stuff in the trash, it really eats away at what you really save by going there.

Reply to
bf

The WEN tool I remember is a 1/4 sheet sander. I think it had the same motor as the old electric football games that vibrated up and down to move the plastic player across the games playing surface. The sander even had an adjustment on the front to set the amount of vibration.

Reply to
Nova

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Or as prefer to say, "When you need to use something that's very sharp and spins at 15,000 rpm only a couple feet from your face, DON'T BUY THE HOUSE BRAND!"

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Lots of complaints about POS tools from Harbor Freight. Why are they surprised? HF sells cheap. Yout get what you pay for. Like that lousy Craftsman contractors TS I bought (used). Used it for a while then got so frustrated that I bought a Delta contractors saw. MUCH better.

What bugs me is paying good money ($100) for a Porter Cable dovetail joint router jig, and having it be mediocre. PC cheaped out on the screws. They stripped out right away. I replaced them with generic fasteners from my screw bin which have held up much better. The hold-down bar is made of some new extra-soft steel which forces me to really crank down on the hold-down screws to get my workpieces steady (maybe the cause of the screw failure?). I cut myself on burrs on some of the sheet metal because they weren't deburred properly.

Should bought the expensive jig. Then I would have had more flexibility and higher quality. I know better than to buy cheap, but sometimes my wallet does the talking instead of my brain.

Reply to
bsa441

One man's trash....... I love my PC dovetail jig.

I wrote in this thread about my horrible Wagner power roller, and somebody else thought it was great. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all!

Reply to
Charlie M. 1958