worn bearing question

I have a contractor's table saw. Just recently, I've noticed that while the blade is spinning down, I'm hearing some clicking and knocking. I take the blade and belt off, spin the arbor by hand, nothing. I put the belt on and spin it and sure enough, with the lateral pressure on the arbor, it starts knocking. I've had the saw for about 6 years, only the last two of which have been what I consider slightly more than hobbyist use.
Is it unreasonable to think that arbor bearings should last longer than this? Or am I being picky?
By the way, I've always had it hooked up to dust collection and vacuum out the cabinet once a week.
Joe
p.s. It's a craftsman
noonenparticular wrote:

Not too surprising...I suspect they'll be a standard bearing you can replace relatively easily and inexpensively.
Is the belt too tight, perhaps? That'll do more to ruin a bearing than most anything else.

Thanks Duane,
The belt is tightened via the standard motor on a sprung hinged plate I don't know how I'd adjust the tension if I was even of a mind to.
Following the "buy a new car when you need a windshield wiper" philosophy, I wonder if this is a good enough reason to chuck the contractor saw and get a good cabinet saw???? (rhetorical).
Joe
noonenparticular wrote:

OK, some were designed w/ a fixed mount so it was possible to really crank 'em tight. That can cause flat spots on bearing races when it sits which can get noisy w/ time.

Took far less than that for me... :)

Once you take off the belt, it never goes back on right and you will have nothing but problems. Save that grief and get a Unisaw today.
wrote in message

back on right? Dat's good engi-ma-neering

Have you ruled out noise from the motor or belt itself?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

Shhh, Larry! Read his followup... :)
I'm a little suprised it didn't last longer I've got a Craftsman and not seen any bearing problems only fence issues. It has been used a lot in commercial setting and was purchased sometime in the late 50's. I've replaced the fence and pullies as well as a few belts. Now running link- belt but thus far no bearing problems.
What you cutting ? I do some dado but mainly 2 x 4 and 3/4 plywood is the feed for it.
- Guess you could have go a lemon too.
woodcollector wrote:

Just a bearing going doesn't surprise me a lick...
noonenparticular wrote:

Maybe the arbor pulley is loose or does not fit snugly on the arbor (hole is worn out of round)? Had this happen to me once. With a new pulley the saw runs nice and quiet.
I had the same problem on a rockwell contractor saw. It was a loose tightening set-screw on the pulley.
I had the same problem on a rockwell contractor saw. It was a loose tightening set-screw on the pulley.
I had the same problem on a rockwell contractor saw. It was a loose set-screw on the pulley. After tightening no more noise.