working with plexiglass

Page 3 of 3

Yeah. I guess I was just hallucinating when the whole class used it in a Summer school crafts shop dedicated to working with Fiberglas. Musta been from sniffing all that acetone.
Are there better solvents? Yes. MEK is fun, if you don't mind yer kid being born with flippers. DCM, the primary solvent in Tap acrylic cement. You checked the prices at Tap Plastics, lately? Bring $$$!! Otherwise, acetone (which is no saint) works jes fine. ;)
nb
On 7/21/2010 2:04 PM, notbob wrote:

Isn't the cleaning fluid that plumbers use to clean and prime PVC pipe before gluing MEK based? The stuff I have in my workshop is I'm sure. I'll check and report back
--
Kevin (Bluey)

Prolly was, as you seem to be carping at someone who suggested using it.

It would "seem" your use of the word indicates you're not sure. Good thing, too, cuz yer wrong.
nb

You were Not replying to Larry?

Fiberglass and plexiglas are *not* the same thing. Acetone is an excellent solvent for the resins that make up the former; it has no effect on the latter.

Sniffing acetone again?
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p 220
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00825.htm
http://www.thepenshop.net/Library%20Tutorials%20and%20Reference/Plexi.pdf
http://www.rplastics.com/faqs.html
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t53848
http://www.ehow.com/how_5229770_glue-plexiglass-together.html
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/28985 /
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f55/plexiglass-finish-6957 /
http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/showthread.php?tf61
Fiberglass and plexiglas are *not* the same thing. Acetone is an excellent solvent for the resins that make up the former; it has no effect on the latter.
snipped-for-privacy@diversify.invalid wrote:

Don't know what solvent you're actually thinking of, but it's not acetone. Acetone does *not* dissolve plexiglass. Here, try an experiment: soak a rag in acetone and wipe it across a piece of acrylic plastic -- then watch as the acetone evaporates, leaving the plastic totally unscathed.

Some don't know the difference between plexiglass and other plastics, it seems. http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?p 220
http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00825.htm
http://www.thepenshop.net/Library%20Tutorials%20and%20Reference/Plexi.pdf
http://www.rplastics.com/faqs.html
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t53848
http://www.ehow.com/how_5229770_glue-plexiglass-together.html
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/28985 /
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f55/plexiglass-finish-6957 /
http://www.wizdforums.co.uk/showthread.php?tf61
Don't know what solvent you're actually thinking of, but it's not acetone. Acetone does *not* dissolve plexiglass. Here, try an experiment: soak a rag in acetone and wipe it across a piece of acrylic plastic -- then watch as the acetone evaporates, leaving the plastic totally unscathed.
The commercial solvents are just pure acetone, the main ingredient in nail polish remover.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-nail-polish-remover.htm
but the commercial plexiglass solvents come in a nice hypodermic style dispenser. If it touches the plexiglass elsewhere it disolves it too and it looks like hell.
Plexiglass is an old product that will yellow on you. Look for polycarbonate (depending on usage) at Home Depot, Single , double and triple thicknesses are available for green house and other usage
I planning a project where I'll need to make boxes with plexiglass sides. I need to know 2 things: 1. What adhesive to bond 2 pieces of plexiglass? 2. What adhesive to bond edges of plexiglass boxes too sapele base? 3. What thickness of plexiglass should I buy? Thanks in advance. ---> Ed

Nail polish remover has been cellulose acetate, not acetone, for some years now. Doesn't dry skin as much, but it's useless in the workshop.
Nail polish remover is also full of perfume and oils to relieve the nasty effects on your skin from the acetone.
I wasn't suggesting to use it. I should have elaborated more.
wrote:

.