can plexiglass adhere to brick fireplace with caulk?

hello, To cut down on draft in our fireplace which is never used, we caulked the edges of the fireplace and then tried to attach the plexiglass. Some portions appear to have adhered, others don't. Is there something else to use to make the plexi adhere to brick? We tried to cut the glass so that it attaches almost to the joints of the brick to the wooden trim.

Thanks!

Reply to
ap

If you were to use a clear rtv silicon and set the edge in a bead, it'll be there 'til the proverbial cows arrive. You best want to not use it in the future if you do it that way or you (or the subsequent occupants) will rue the day you chose to do it that way.

I would rather make a frame and mount it to the fireplace surround w/ removable fasteners, then attach the plexiglass to that...

--

Reply to
dpb

Or just jam it in place with a strip of adhesive-backed foam or rubber weatherstrip. You can probably get away without framing it.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

quoted text -

No matter how it is applied, it certainly isn't going to look very good. The proper way is to stuff insulation up in the throat. That will both insulate and seal it and doesn't affect the looks.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

IIRC, they even sell a purpose-built inflatable rubber thing to plug flues with. But a bundle of fiberglas insulation is probably cheaper. Note that with fiberglas, you want be sure chimney has a rain cap- otherwise in a bad storm it could get waterlogged. Just for laughs, always a good idea to leave a sign hanging from the flue lever or pull-chain, reminding people that flue is blocked. (In case you forget when you sell the place, or have house guests, or the baby-sitter's boyfriend wants a romantic fire, or something.)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Just don't light a fire a friend of mine did that in his cottage forgot in spring the plug was in

Reply to
jim

Butyl rubber caulk will adhere to brick.

Reply to
Meat Plow