working with plexiglass

It makes perfect sense that a scraper would work. Those hooked scoring tools they sell for plexi are essentially very narrow scrapers.

Reply to
-MIKE-

And definitely a lot smoother than files. A few seconds with the polishing wheel tells me if I need to go further with the scraper or just continue with the polishing wheel.

Reply to
Upscale

Of course it does. It just never occurred to me. That's why I'm grateful to Upscale for mentioning it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

All you really need to bond Plexiglas is acetone. If straight acetone is too difficult to work with, mix some Plexiglas sawdust with it till you get the consistency you want.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The commercial solvents are just pure acetone, the main ingredient in nail polish remover.

the commercial plexiglass solvents come in a nice hypodermic style dispenser. If it touches the plexiglass elsewhere it disolves it too and it looks like hell.

Plexiglass is an old product that will yellow on you. Look for polycarbonate (depending on usage) at Home Depot, Single , double and triple thicknesses are available for green house and other usage

  1. What adhesive to bond 2 pieces of plexiglass?
  2. What adhesive to bond edges of plexiglass boxes too sapele base?
  3. What thickness of plexiglass should I buy? Thanks in advance.

---> Ed

Reply to
Josepi

What he really means is nobody else can read like he can.

Reply to
Josepi

At least he's doesn't completely make $h!t up half the time.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That is not correct. Acetone does not dissolve plexiglass.

Reply to
Doug Miller

PDFTFT

Reply to
Doug Miller

-MIKE- wrote:

I don't have the patience nor imagination to figure that put. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Please Don't Feed The Fine Trolls. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I doubt it's more than half. Be nice.

Reply to
Josepi

OK, I'll go 60% and that's tops.

-MIKE-

Reply to
Josepi

Really?

Can you cite some sites to back that up?

Reply to
Josepi

Once a know-it-all troll, always a know-it-all troll!

and as usual, Full of Shit 61% of the time!

Reply to
Josepii

TSC stores carry syringes for the farming community. Easy to obtain. I buy them all the time to glue small letters to a substrate.

Reply to
Robatoy

I recall a model maker neighbor used laquer thinner to bond plastics, but that's been fifty years or so ago.

I would suggest visiting a big hobby shop. I was in one recently and saw a rack filled with specialized adhesives and a counter manned by hobbyists!

As to the wooden base, might you rout a groove to take the plastic? Recessing the box into the base might serve to hide the joint and the glue used.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Nail polish remover has been cellulose acetate, not acetone, for some years now. Doesn't dry skin as much, but it's useless in the workshop.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You'll be lucky. Acetone dissolves acrylic well enough that a spill is damaging to the surface, but not well enough that it makes a useful solvent glue.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That tends to round the corners, so it's good for bare edges, but not if you're trying to make butt joints.

I make my display cases with 45=B0 butted mitres. I can saw these on the bandsaw, but they still need polishing up to 400 grit wet & dry if they're to be invisible, even after solvent welding.

Reply to
Andy Dingley