"Woodworking Women"

Page 2 of 3
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 06:07:09 GMT, Michael Baglio

Check out Gail and that clock face project. Va Va VOOM!

Robin's butt. Yum! (Both Robin Kipp's and Robin Hartl's)
--
Impeach 'em ALL!

I'd look at the site, but this link isn't working.
Lazarus Long wrote:

That's what I get for guessing rather than looking up the url It's www.woodshopdemos.com/ And if you haven't been to the site before - BOOKMARK IT! cause you'll want to refer back to it for all kinds of stuff.
charlie b
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:30:45 GMT, Lazarus Long

Try http://www.woodshopdemos.com /
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
gee whiz Leslie! all's I did was make an observation about a mag and wished them luck and you come back with this. Sounds like some displaced anger issues. Get a shrink before you kill someone.

Cool your jets. The "tongue-in-cheek" anger was guided toward those who "don't think women do anything but crafty type stuff" as mentioned in Blues response after yours. It is not toward anyone posting here.
OK Dave in Fairfax?
Leslie
--
She's got tools, and she knows how to use them.
The legs aren't too bad either!
Leslie G wrote:

Thank you, working with women makes me a bit twitchy on overstepping boundaries. Dave
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:31:09 GMT, "Blue"

That's impossible. Boys are blue, girls are pink. (Y'know, like dogs are all male while cats are all female.)

Wow, most of us are either Neanders or Normites. You're a Stanley? Congrats on finding a shop and using it. Mo power to ya.

And that never stops. I love it.
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
Geeze, it was a woman at the woodworking shows doing a minilathe demo (using cocobolo) that caused me to buy one and give turning a whack. It will be a *long* time before my skill is up to hers (if ever)

Right you are. I do a LOT of stuff. I build furniture and other small items. I hate it when mags. do this kind of thing!
--
Vicky
www.woodshoppe.net

The problem comes when folks think that men have this built in gene or sumptin' that gives them the inate ability or knowledge about carpentry or woodworking or other "male" things.
e.g. Trying to show some Habitat volunteers how to swing a hammer. Let the hammer do more of the work. Holding it closer to the end gives more power (though less control). Well, the comment I get back - but so and so told us the opposite (hold it nearer the head). Hey, who am I to argue with A Man ;-) Let 'em figure it out for themselves.
However, I fall victim to this thinking myself. I usually gives guys more benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they're doing more readily than gals. I am learning though, and getting better in realizing to assess folks before jumping to any conclusion as to their skills.
Renata

Aw that night when your sleeping comphie and their forearm hurts so bad that they are almost in tears. That's when they will understand to listen to a pro and forget about gender. Puff BTW Never have I done anything in life that my wife could not do. She has helped me pour and finish concrete. She has helped me build sheds and pole barns. She owned and rode every day her own KZ1000. By help I mean as a team thing. Give them respect fella's they have earned it.

yeah... like one of the regulars here has as a sig....
those who know the least usually know it the loudest.
unfortunately, in a field where men are assumed to know more, a loud man will likely prevail over a knowledgeable woman. it goes the other way too. I knew a man who was really good with sewing. his family had been in upholstery for generations. he learned it as a kid and practised it professionally. he just happened to _look_ like a clueless doofus guy. it sure amazed me when I saw his work.....
    Bridger
Wonder what kinds of things they advertise? Could it be these:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)RYRK9VLWOZEH&vi=pictures&img#more-pictures
--randy

WTF makes someone think they need their own magazine. Did I miss subscribing to Woodworking Men?

My girlfriend is really getting into this wood crap. She loves going wood shoping with me, fills my dolly with wood that "speakes to her", and builds some nice furniture. However, what it says to me is "how in the hell you going to get this to stand still?".
mark

I have no doubt most women in ww are better than me. which ain't sayin much. I just know I don't want my wife gettin into it. even though I would consider myself more artistic than her she whips me in any eye/hand coordination type stuff and I don't want this in my shop. that's my domain, that's all I gots, left.

An MCP here - one of the best cabinet designers & builders in these parts "Kansas" is a lady friend of mine. Works out of a shop that makes mine look like a relic of the past. She started finishing cabinets to make money for college.....Buisness Degree......makes more doing cabinets than what she would have done otherwise. She is married, 3 kids and still finds time to cook like a pro. Never underestimate the other gender, my hat is off to many !