Woodworking Courses

I would like to take some courses on the safe and accurate use of woodworking machinery, such as table saws/routers (which I am nervous around - had a piece of wood kick back on me, and gave me a bad bruise). I have a Shopsmith which I am going to go through the setup procedure again to make sure it is all square and running properly, but would like to be shown how to actually use the various kinds of machines, by someone who knows what they are doing. Have been doing some searching via community colleges and such, and can't seem to find anything. I live in Mississauga, west of Toronto, and ideally they would be evening classes. Any help and info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Time Peddlar

Have you checked Lee Valley? They sometimes offer courses on various aspects of woodworking or they may know of some other place that offers these things.

Reply to
efgh

Check

they have roadshow classes. There was one here in SC sometime during the last year, don't know if they travel north of the border. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Many of the high schools around here offer woodworking classes in the evening. I took two WW courses at one, and am taking a turning course at another. Call around.

Reply to
Toller

Check Humber collage 5 or 6 years ago they had a wood shop class. Jim

Reply to
Jim Northey

Thanks for responding Toller. I have spoken to both the Peel Board of Ed, and the Halton Board of Ed., and they said they dropped the ww courses because they could not find daytime teachers that wanted to teach in the evening, and without this, they had safety issues, so are not offering any courses.

Reply to
Time Peddlar

Have checked the Lee Valley courses, but they seem to fill up so fast with only a limited number of openings. Also need to start at a very basic level, and think that they are more advanced. Having said that, should probably check them out better.

Reply to
Time Peddlar

Thanks Jim, didnt think of the community colleges, just boards of education. Will give this direction a try.

Reply to
Time Peddlar

Here is a list of woodworking clubs in Canada, contact these and see if they can help in anyway. I know all are not close to you but they might know someone or can point you in the right direction to obtain your goal. Canada

Annapolis Valley Woodcarvers

6370 Highway 201, RR #1 Lawrencetown, NS, B0S 1M0

Durham Woodworking Club

797 Eastbourne Avenue Oshawa, ON L1G 1P5

Kamloops Woodworkers Guild c/o 2329 Ojibway Road Kamloops, BC V2H 1p1

Marquetry Society Of Canada

636 Tapleytown Road Stoney Creek, ON L8J 3K7 Home page:

Miller Goodwood Society

996 Powell Street Vancouver, BC Phone: 604-215-9997 Email: snipped-for-privacy@telus.net

Outaouais Woodcarvers Box 23003 Ottawa, ON K2A 4E2 Home page:

Pacific Woodworkers Guild PO Box 63071

6020 Steveston Hwy. Richmond, BC V7E 2K0 Home page:
Woodworking Guild in Canada Rose Sveinbjornson Churchbridge, SK S0A 0M0 Phone: 306-896-2398 Email: snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net

South Saskatchewan Woodworkers Guild c/o 6030 Kelsey Street Regina, SK S4X 1V6

Sunparlour Woodcarvers Club c/o 149 Eveleigh Windsor, ON N9E 4M2 Phone: 519-972-1933 Email: snipped-for-privacy@sprint.ca

West Island Woodturners Club

501 St. John's Pointe Claire, Quebec Email: snipped-for-privacy@internet.look.ca

Windsor Wood Carving Museum