Woodworking Courses

I would like to take some courses on the safe and accurate use of woodworking machinery, such as table saws/routers (which I am nervous around - had a piece of wood kick back on me, and gave me a bad bruise). I have a Shopsmith which I am going to go through the setup procedure again to make sure it is all square and running properly, but would like to be shown how to actually use the various kinds of machines, by someone who knows what they are doing. Have been doing some searching via community colleges and such, and can't seem to find anything. I live in Mississauga, west of Toronto, and ideally they would be evening classes. Any help and info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

aspects of woodworking or they may know of some other place that offers these things.
efgh wrote:

Have checked the Lee Valley courses, but they seem to fill up so fast with only a limited number of openings. Also need to start at a very basic level, and think that they are more advanced. Having said that, should probably check them out better.
Time Peddlar wrote:

There was one here in SC sometime during the last year, don't know if they travel north of the border. Joe

evening. I took two WW courses at one, and am taking a turning course at another. Call around.
Toller wrote:

Thanks for responding Toller. I have spoken to both the Peel Board of Ed, and the Halton Board of Ed., and they said they dropped the ww courses because they could not find daytime teachers that wanted to teach in the evening, and without this, they had safety issues, so are not offering any courses.

Check Humber collage 5 or 6 years ago they had a wood shop class. Jim
Jim Northey wrote:

Thanks Jim, didnt think of the community colleges, just boards of education. Will give this direction a try.
Here is a list of woodworking clubs in Canada, contact these and see if they can help in anyway. I know all are not close to you but they might know someone or can point you in the right direction to obtain your goal. Canada
Annapolis Valley Woodcarvers 6370 Highway 201, RR #1 Lawrencetown, NS, B0S 1M0
Durham Woodworking Club 797 Eastbourne Avenue Oshawa, ON L1G 1P5
Kamloops Woodworkers Guild c/o 2329 Ojibway Road Kamloops, BC V2H 1p1
Marquetry Society Of Canada 636 Tapleytown Road Stoney Creek, ON L8J 3K7 Home page: www.artmarquetry.com/msc/index.html
Miller Goodwood Society 996 Powell Street Vancouver, BC Phone: 604-215-9997 Email: snipped-for-privacy@telus.net
Outaouais Woodcarvers Box 23003 Ottawa, ON K2A 4E2 Home page: www.comnet.ca/~owcarvers
Pacific Woodworkers Guild PO Box 63071 6020 Steveston Hwy. Richmond, BC V7E 2K0 Home page: http://pwwg.tripod.com
Parkland Woodworking Guild in Canada Rose Sveinbjornson Churchbridge, SK S0A 0M0 Phone: 306-896-2398 Email: snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net
South Saskatchewan Woodworkers Guild c/o 6030 Kelsey Street Regina, SK S4X 1V6
Sunparlour Woodcarvers Club c/o 149 Eveleigh Windsor, ON N9E 4M2 Phone: 519-972-1933 Email: snipped-for-privacy@sprint.ca
West Island Woodturners Club 501 St. John's Pointe Claire, Quebec Email: snipped-for-privacy@internet.look.ca
Windsor Wood Carving Museum 850 Ouellette Ave. Windsor, ON N9A 4M9 Email: snipped-for-privacy@mnsi.net
Web Only
Woodworking Shops in Progress Home page: clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/woodworkingshopsinprogress