B&Q Courses

Hi,

I was chatting with a relative this week who wanted to show me the tiling in her kitchen - it looked superb. She told me how she had arranged for a tiler to cvome fit the tiles but, when he turned up, he refused to do the work and left. Quite simply, all she wanted was the square tiles turned 90 degrees so that they were fitted as if 'diamonds' rather than squares.

The tiler didn't want to know about this. Anyhow, my friend went off to B&Q, went on a course they hold about fitting tiles and, hey presto, she has done a quite remarkable job for a first time effort. It looks superb.

This got me thinking - what other courses do B&Q hold? Anyone know? I can't find info on their website but am interested in finding out if they do things like basic electrics, carpentry, plumbing or plastering.

Just curious,

John.

Reply to
John Smith

Can't say as I blame him. Especially if it was a fixed price contract. My wife wanted the tiles in our en-suite like that, and since walking off wasn't an option, I did them that way. Never again.

Reply to
Huge

Um, why is that so difficult then? Putting the tiles on tilted at 90 degrees as to look like a diamond?

John.

Reply to
John Smith

Laying it all out to start with and then think of all those tiles that need cutting just to around the outside let alone those that need to fit around pipes etc.

-- Jerry. Location - United Kingdom. In the first instance please reply to group, The quoted email address is a trash can for Spam only.

Reply to
Jerry.

has details in it somewhere about these. I found them but can't remember where. Simpler is to ring your local superstore and ask.

For example I think Thursday afternoon is fitting flooring packs.

I watched our local one ages ago. It was quite informative with a small audience of a dozen people.

Reply to
EricP

[Please don't top-post]

They're a pain to get straight, a pain to get lined up and a pain to cut at edges.

Reply to
Huge

More difficult cuts are required.

Reply to
Scott Mills

45 degrees. A square rotated through 90 degrees still looks like a square.
Reply to
Hywel

Oops :-)

Reply to
John Smith

Perhaps not as "Oops" as if the tiler had done the job at a 90 degree rotation though!

Reply to
Hywel

Heh!

"90 degrees madam? Certainly - leave it to me" :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

John Smith formulated on Sunday :

Perhaps something to do with it being 45 degrees ;-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , John Smith writes

Oops what?

Please don't top-post. Please snip to context.

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

I doubt they would do courses on anything which had safety implications like electrics or plumbing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If you turn a square through 90 degrees, how does it look any different?

Reply to
blah

PLEASE DO NOT TOP POST.

PLEASE TRIM APPROPRIATELY.

Reply to
blah

In message , blah writes

if it is of infinite thinness it will disappear from your view

(-8

Reply to
NoSpamThanks

If there were a pattern on the tile it might look different.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

You need a diamond wheel tile cutter. Slow, but makes cutting a diagonal easy-peasy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Interestingly, in the US, Home Depot is running a number of DIH (Do It Herself) courses for DIY for women living in their own homes without a DIY man about the house. They are becoming very popular (both the courses, and living in a house without a man aparently...)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel