Artificial Lawn

Due to the fact that I have very poor soil natural grass turns to moss and weeds very quickly and appart from digging out loads of flint and chalk to replace with top soil I have been thinking of artificial lawn from

as it is only about 17 sq mts in size. Question is has anybody used it before and what do you think.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

"Trevor Smith" wrote in news:408b8717$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

Does it say secondhand? I think that I'd rather buy new. :-)

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

The idea appeals to me. A friend who installed it found that keeping it clean was a bit of a problem, even with a pressure washer. The plastic blades of grass spear leaves very effectively and they can be a pig to remove.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

There is a guy with 20 sheets of astroturf on ebay right now, and I am very very tempted ...

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Trevor,

They are advertising on the telly at the moment, and my first thought was was happens to dog poop, bird poop etc and all the other cr** that will fall out of the sky onto it - presumably it eventually fills up to tuft height !

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I dont know how much you know about lawns, or what youve done, but what you say there is not in itself a huge barrier. The way to deal with weeds in lawns is to mow regularly. The only plants that will survive this long term are grass and one or to others that look ok in lawns, such as daisies.

The usual treatment for moss is raking: this pulls the moss apart but permits the grass to survive.

I dont know what youve tried, what you nkow, now why your lawn is in this state, but some generalities:

The lawn seed used might be wrong for the lawn location. Continued mowing will allow the weed grasses that occur to take hold instead, it does take time but gradually one ends up with a decent lawn this way, even if the initial seeding didnt work well.

Raking deals with moss pretty well. However theres always a possibility your ground might be constantly wet: unlikely, but if it floods when it rains this may be a problem. Really no lawn will manage conditions like that, and the solution to saturated ground is to install drainage, which isnt too difficult, and can be done for almost nothing if necessary.

Grass will grow on all but the very poorest of soils. The way to enrich barren soil is to supply it with uncooked kitchen scraps, black and white (only) paper, plant trimmings etc. This gets the humus cycle going, and produces lots of worms that aerate the soil and produce excellant worm fertiliser.

Hopefully something there will apply to you.

Regards, TN

Reply to
N. Thornton