Short courses?

My diy skills are useless. I think a lot of it is a lack of confidence in using tools and also, to be honest, the fear of making a costly c*ck up.

Has anyone here as a complete beginner undertaken a 5 day intensive course in, say, plumbing? I saw the 5 day intensive course advertised by Able Skills and it does sound good.

Is it possible though for someone who is completely lacking in both confidence and technical skills to get anything from a 5 day intensive course?

The last straw for me was paying a plumber £60 to tighten a f****** radiator nut.

Reply to
Gareth

confidence in

intensive

Well I learnt because I couldn't afford to pay a plumber when I bought my first house! (or bricky or carpenter or electrician or a car mechanic) Just rolling up your sleeves and applying common sense is a remarkable self teaching course. They say necessity is the mother of invention. At least these days Google is hovering in the back ground whispering in your ear.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Honestly I think you'd do better to jsut come here and ask when you have diy 'events', and keep comign back for more info until its sorted. Also coming here at times to learn what you can is very effective. There's also a wiki, which is mostly quite good

've avoided short courses, as they dont have enough time to address the real life issues, and the basic stuff can be got online quicker for nothing.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Where I you based? Maybe one of the regulars will let you watch or help on a project that they are doing. I would.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

A lot of local colleges do one day courses, usually at weekends - things like "Build a brick wall" and "Fit a tap".

Reply to
Huge

I was thinking more storage heaters, as I have to fit some in a 3rd storey flat that has no lift.

The experience would be invaluable to someone prepared to give up their time for free to learn how to install them.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My personal opinion on short courses is that they are not much use unless you want to use the skills fairly soon. For example, if you took this 5 day plumbing course and then didn't need to tighten any radiator nuts for a few years would you remember what you did on the course when you needed to use the skills?

Maybe you would, or maybe the fact that you had been on the course would give you the confidence to have a go, or maybe you do plan to do some plumbing soon?

Personally I find books and the internet very useful, for example a while ago my washing machine stopped working and I have never fixed a washing machine before. I just typed the make, model and problem into Google and after a few minutes I found a website which told me EXACTLY what to do.

If the main problem is a fear of making a costly c*ck up perhaps you could make sure that your home insurance covers DIY c*ck ups before you try anything.

Reply to
Gareth

Now that's a novelty, an electrician setting up Internships - not related to (or taking advice from) a certain Deputy Prime Minister are you Adam?

Nice try to get the 'humping' done for you for 'free' (I wonder if the OP realises how heavy those bloody heaters are?) - and I give you full marks there for initiative. LOL

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I could not agree more - that is what I had to do.

A truly invaluable resource.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Back in the mid 70's when we bought our first house, I had to have it rewired within six months. The lender withheld some money from the mortgage to ensure this was done.

At the time I knew sweet FA about DIY but a neighbour lent me his Readers Digest Do it Yourself Manual and I managed to rewire the house myself and get it passed and connected by the electricity board at their first inspection. You probably couldn't do this now with all the new regulations etc.

Since then I have picked up plumbing and woodworking skills, mainly from books and, in recent years, the internet.

There is a great deal of information available through Google as has already been suggested and some sites even provide videos e.g. YouTube. So, in answer to your question, I wouldn't bother with short courses unless you value the social aspect.

Reply to
Wesley

I'm afraid it's not so much a 'short course'; it's a long course. You start by tackling small jobs, and then work your way up.

Yes, I'd have been afraid to do a plumbing job 20 years ago. But not now. Start small, build skills.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Me too if it helps.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

They're not heavy if you take the bits out of the box and get them upstairs in stages.

However if you leave the other bits at the bottom of the stairs the pikeys will have them while you're halfway up.

Hence the advisability of having someone else to run up and down the stairs 30 times while Adam sits in the van 'looking after the stock' and drinking tea.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Owain,

I must admit that it's a long time since I handled the bloody things, and even the 'bricks' in them then seemed rather heavy (even for a stripling of

30 some odd years old and built like the proverbial brick crapper) - so hopefully, modern technology of today has sorted that out.

But I still suspect that Adam was being rather crafty with his (presumably) tongue-in-cheek request - and as you say, being the gaffer, he has to get

*his* priorities right.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I would agree with that. If you choose to do a course, plan a project to do just afterwards which uses these skills.

I started by watching my dad, and 25 years later progressed to designing and fitting a whole central heating system and replumbing everything else in the house too as part of kitchen and bathroom refit.

There were some areas of building where I had no skills and needed some, plastering and brick laying. For each of these, I did a 2-day course at a local building trades college, which gave me the necessary skills. These were aimed at other tradesmen who needed some cross-training, but there were a couple of DIYers on each one. I could have learned the bricklaying from a book, but with plastering, I think you really do have to be shown how and watched by someone who can tell you what you're doing wrong. Besides that, the courses were both great fun.

Two weeks after doing the brick laying course, someone demolished my gatepost, which was perfect timing ;-)

Once you have built up skills in a few areas, you can gain confidence to tackle new things. 5 or 6 years ago, I decided to take some time off between jobs, and I stipped back and replaced the felt and battens on part of the roof, rebuilding the valley gutter. That's the sort of thing I would never have even thought of doing myself 20 years before. The reason it needed doing was because the person I paid to do it 20 years before did a poor job. Last year, I repointed my chimney and refitted the roof ridge tiles. However, I did get a roofer in to replace the chimney's leadwork, and he did a much better job than I would have. (He was very complimentary about my repointing though:-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Think you learn these sort of skills gradually - starting off with Meccano, moving on to fixing your push bike then motorcycle then car etc.

If you don't feel up to tightening a nut you've a lot of learning to do, and probably not worth it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

"Every one makes mistakes" said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin.

To build your confidence and skills why not try get some scrap bits of tube and fittings from a plumber. Passing a couple of quid will aleviate the loss to the plumber of weighing the scrap in.

Play with them, take them apart, see how they work, safe in the knowledge that if you do c*ck it up it doesn't matter.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

... or if you need to, start big. A newsgroup like this can guide you through most of the questions along teh way.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Is getting plastering flat included in that statement ? :-)

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

OK Many years ago I got fed up getting plasterers in to quote to do a wall, saying 'go ahead' and them never turning up. Happened 5 times. Never having plastered in my life I thought 'what's to lose?' bought a bag of browning and top coat. Read the book, set up vertical laths on browning dabs. Ruled off the browning between laths, removed the laths, filled in the gaps, skimmed twice with top coat and it was pretty good. That encouraged me to plaster an arch between two rooms. No way am I as fast or as good as someone who does it every day, but with a positive attitude it's amazing what you can achieve.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson