Woodsmith Shop.... duh.

Is it just me or is the Woodsmith Shop on PBS aimed at complete beginners.
I don't think I've ever learned anything from watching that show other than how we mid-westerners like to mispronounce words like, "acrossed." :-)
--

-MIKE-

It IS for beginners as is the magazine. It is also for people who are more than beginners but not at the intermediate phase yet. I think it's the second best show now on about woodworking .Alas New Yankee workshop has been canceled and on dyi marks is long gone. the woodwrights shop is barely on here (wash/Baltimore)and dyi no longer has a woodworking show on air. Our local PBS stations are always raising money, so you never know when any show is on anymore and they keep changing the line up. thanks god for dvr's.
len

I agree that the show is for beginners but I really don't thing the magazine is for beginners other than the fact that the magazine pretty much explaings everything. I have every issue other than the first 6, there has been a bunch of complicated content.
"lennn99" wrote:

Check out www.createtv.com for your area as well as the WoodSmithShop website.
Plug in your zipcode and see what you get.
WoodSmithShop built a bowl today here on the left coast and Norm built some more kitchen cabinets.
Both on channels operated by L/A School system.
HTH
Lew
Update:
WETA seems to be running the same program list as we're getting here in L/A.
Lew --------------------------------

Yes PBS has to raise money to operate. It should be funded by the taxes we pay. However, our taxes are being used to bail out banks so they can pay bonuses, pay "welfare" in various forms for people too worthless to work for a living. I could go on and on, but my blood pressure is already high enough.
George aka Bumhead
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 18:12:10 -0500, "lennn99"

"bumhead" wrote:

Thank Reagan for the endless begging.
Remember, "Government is the problem"?
He was responsible for dramatically reducing funding for PBS, NPR and the arts.
Net result:
Endless begging.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The endless begging was the route PBS and NPR chose to go, so blaming Reagan for that is somewhat disingenuous. There were other mechanisms that could have been chosen. Given the variety of available media sources, it really does raise the question of why taxpayers are funding PBS and NPR.

Rob Leatham
On 2/6/10 9:15 PM, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Exactly. It's certainly not needed anymore, and it hasn't been non-commercial in at least 2 decades.
--

-MIKE-

bumhead wrote:

We have more than a hundred television networks not to mention youtube and other video sharing sites. Why should the government be financing yet another television channel? Especially one that is not obligated to act in the interests of the government.

If the banks fail you won't like it. Unless of course you are one of those people too worthless to work for a living and so have nothing in the bank.

-MIKE- wrote:

I like the show. If you get it in HD format, it is super. On my big screed high def TV, I feel like I can walk right into their workshop. Besides that, I enjoy most of what they show. The stuff may be basic, but in woodworking, their are many ways to do the same task, and watching these folks do their thing is enjoyable to me.
First, if they do something the same as I do it, I'm reassured. Second, if they do something different, and my way is better, I enjoy making fun of them. Last, if they do something different, and I didn't know about it, I get to learn something.
All in all, it is a great program, and I like the guys that star in it. They seem like a nice bunch of guys, and they do know what they are doing, unlike that Scott character that likes white glue because you "can't see it when it dries"... there was a joke of a show.
For a while PBS was showing Woodsmith shop in low definition, same shows I'd already seen in HD, and wow, what a difference. So, imo, whether you learn something or not, it is very enjoyable show to watch in HD.
--
Jack
"A Dead Enemy Is A Peaceful Enemy - Blessed Be The Peacemakers"

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:48:13 -0700, A Lurker wrote

My wife calls them "those creepy guys hanging around in their mommas basement".
-BR