wooden casket

out of lurk, Has anybody ever made one & what kind of wood did you use? I have an excentric friend that wants one to be buried in. I told him 'I am not Norm Abrams ' but I thought I could make it.

thanks guys in advance

regards

Mike Lane

Reply to
Michael Lane

Here's a link to Rockler for a Wood Casket Plan and hardware:

Lee K

Use Oak. I wouldn't be caught dead in anything else.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
bynot

Walt Henderson made a beauty out of Poplar for the "Washington's Funeral" reenactment for Mt Vernon. They might have some pix on their website. I gave him a pick (jpeg) several years ago, he might still have it. I don't know if he wants it posted or not. He MIGHT be copying the mail, and could chime in if he is.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax

Have you considered MDF?

Run a router round the edges, add some moldings from your local borg, spray paint with a couple of coats of emulsion.

Reply to
Phillip Hallam-Baker
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Used to be a company, somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. For a fee, they'd load your ashes in a muzzloading cannon. and shoot them out over the mountainside. I always thought that would be rather neat. Apparently they're out of business, because none of my searches lately have found them. Ah well.

JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.

- Phil Pastoret

Reply to
J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Michael Lane) wrote in news:3687-40969CE7- snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3132.bay.webtv.net:

Is there a wood that means something to you, or to your friend? Use that, if you can.

I built the container for my mother's ashes from California Black Oak, with veneered top & bottom interior of curly Black Walnut, and sides lined with vertical grained Douglas Fir, all native woods from the areas our family has lived for generations.

/personal opinion #1 The trappings of the end-of-this-life ceremonies are personal, and of importance in the planning, and the assurances that friends and family care, and respect the wishes of the departing.

/personal opinion #2 Most of us have an eccentric friend or three. Some of us are that eccentric friend. It is a blessing either way.

/personal opinion #3 Talk to the funeral director ahead of time, and see what they recommend. Most will help you understand what is required. Whatever you do, they and their staff will have to work with your 'product'.

And the longer you have to plan, prepare and work, the less stress this will cause. And knowing that this is taken care of may make things easier for your friend.

God bless your efforts on behalf of your friend.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Take pity on those that will move the casket. About the only thing heavier than MDF is lead. Also, MDF doesn't do well when it gets wet.

If you've ever looked carefully at a casket (removed the satin drapes and lifted out the bed) you saw that it was mostly cardboard. The part you see looks substantial, but it's all for show.

The funeral business is really a high margin cheap furniture business.

RB

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

Reply to
RB

Amen Brother, My Cousin was a cowboy/rancher here in Texas and his casket was made of Native Cedar, rope handles and lariat with cactus flowers, tied up with bob wire, as center piece. His favorite Horse tied at the entrance to the cemetery as the cortege passed ... not something I'll forget for the rest of my life. His Pall Bearers and best friends in Jeans, White long sleeve shirts, and their best felt hats (appropriately gray of course). There are several places here in Texas that do that sort of thing, but most any mill can turn out a respectable casket. His wife did for him what he wouldn't have done for himself.

Lee

Reply to
lhall3

Reply to
Mark L.

Some people pine for the classic box, Others prefer another material, just to spruce up the scene, But, that's going a bit fir.

On the other hand, there's only *one* acceptable wood for a crematory urn. It's even described in the Bible -- "Ashes to ash, ....."

Seriously, I've seen (modern) caskets (apparently) made from walnut, ebony, and maple.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I wonder - what would custom caskets sell for? Profitable, I assume? I know the local undertaker, maybe he'd work some sort of commission deal.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thanks guys for all the info. I have conferred with him some more & he said " I want an old timey casket , ( like in wild west) with wood straight from a sawmill, nothing fancy, plain jane " I told him that would not be a prob, but, I expected him to live a while longer, as it will take me a while to make.

again thanks for all replies back to lurk Mike Lane

Reply to
Michael Lane

Caskets are _not_ inexpensive. I've got no idea what the mark-up is between wholesale and retail, but it wouldn't surprise me if its double, or more.

I'm not sure how viable a market it'd be for 'custom' work. There isn't much lead time -- i.e., from order placement to delivery required.

Then there are the construction requirements. Yup, before you can be buried in it, there are _legal_ specifications that have to be dealt with. Prevention of things like contamination of the water-table, etc. Bluntly, a decomposing body is not a particularly healthy thing to have around.

Now, for cremations, that's a whole 'nuther story.

Couldn't hurt to inquire, I suppose.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Hi -

Actually - there aren't many regulations concerning caskets at all...though there may be local bylaws about using grave liners (concrete boxes)... In many places, you can use a cardboard box or a shroud if you want to. Likewise, embalming may also be optional - there's no "health" reason to do it....

Most burial regulations are concerned with "where" as opposed to how....

Best bet is to check your state/provincial laws directly.

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

Thu, May 6, 2004, 12:22pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert=A0Bonomi) says: Then there are the construction requirements. Yup, before you can be buried in it, there are _legal_ specifications that have to be dealt with. Prevention of things like contamination of the water-table, etc. =A0

I haven't double-checked this, but from what I've come across, in various places, it isn't that much of a problem. Because, the caskets are buried in a container of some sort. So, it wouldn't really matter if just a cardboard box was used, because it would be inside a "vault", or whatever they call them.

JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.

- Phil Pastoret

Reply to
J T

Recently I had occasion to go to a funeral parlor for a funeral, but I needed to change clothes before the service. They let me use a room where they had all the "demo boxes" so customers (once removed, I assume" could see the different qualities of coffins. They had metal, wood, particle boare and, yes, plain old ordinary cardboard. The cardboard box, however cost $90 (US). I was amazed!

Glen

"Robin Lee" wrote >

all...though

Reply to
Glen

In some places such as New Orleans, the big problem is keeping 'em planted as the water table is so high.

The cardboard box is a common choice when the final destination is the oven.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn