TEF responds:

Newsgroups: rec.woodworking
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:19:37 -0400 Local: Wed, Apr 6 2005 4:19 pm Subject: Re: Woodcraft Store Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse
I don't get it. It would appear that many of the responder to this thread have some vested interest in Woodcraft. There seems to be all kinds of
justifications put forth as to why this store fails to have what Gerald
wants to purchase. Some are even critical of the guy for not calling ahead. As I understand it, Woodcraft is a specialty store for the woodworking community. Therefore, to say that stocking a dovetail jig is something
extraordinary seems to be an odd defense.<<
OK. How about someone who doesn't have a vested interest in Woodcraft, to the point of despising some of the people in the corporate offices? If you've got much of a drive to make, it only makes sense to call ahead. There is no way on earth to know if any particular dovetail jig is on hand without asking, and if you're setting up 5-6 gallons of gas and a couple hours time, it's foolish to take a chance. Most of these stores, the franchises, are of moderate size. They can only stock so many items of each kind. How many types of dovetail jigs can you name, off-hand? P-C, OK. Whoops, also the P-C OmniJig (I think that still comes in two sizes). Leigh. Keller (several of those). Akeda. The list goes on. Should there be a dozen each in the back end of each of 60+ stores each day, every day?
If you have three and both sell within three days, what the hell. Just go ahead and have corporate FedEx three more. Freight costs are nominal. My butt.
Stocking "a" dovetail jig isn't extraordinary, but selling them isn't either, which means stock does get depleted. Only a person interested in a long drive on a nice day should go to buy one without calling first.
Another point: this is not always the franchisee's fault. It is quite possible for corporate to under-order tems, to misjudge the demand over a particular period of time for any particular item. In fact, if profits are considered, it's a lot better to under-order by a couple than to over-order by a dozen you have to hang on to, only to get stuck with the dozen when a new model is introduced. And that doesn't mention the warehouse space used or not used.
Keeping enough stock on hand, but not too much, is a complex subject. In fact, I'm pretty sure MBAs work pretty hard figuring it out for class papers. It's not just a matter of loading up shelves. It's a matter of budgets for product, space, rate of sale, predicted rate of sale and much else.
There are two things I don't understand: why the OP didn't call ahead; why the OP didn't just ask to have it shipped to his home.

before!! <g>

On 6 Apr 2005 14:11:00 -0700, the inscrutable "Gerald"

One definition of insanity is "Doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results." It's time to try something different, don't you think, Gerald? How about something more daring?
Call The Japan Woodworker at 1-800-537-7820 and ask for the Razor Saw (for hardwood) as advertised in FWW at $25.95, delivered. then http://www.thebestthings.com/books/video_dovetail.htm Dovetail a Drawer" is the Frank Klausz classic about handcutting dovies. $14.95 VHS or $17.95 DVD.
For $45 or so + a bit of time, you'll learn a new skill AND have a valuable new tool to show for it.
-- Vidi, Vici, Veni --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
My Woodcraft store in Clearwater, FL typically does a very good job. Last week I went looking for an item, a clamp on bench vise, which they did not have. I was told several would come in on the Friday shipment. I went in on Friday afternoon, but the truck had just come in, the item wasn't readily found in the huge shipment. I would have called, but was passing by anyhow....besides, the guys were offloading about 2000 board feet of new lumber too.
Woodcraft called me the next day...they had the item on hold for me and said to 'come on down'. I can't complain about the Clearwater store.
bill otten

stocked and, on the rare occasion that there is something out of stock, they've gone out of their way to come up with an equivalent (usually better) item for the same price as the original. A case in point is a wetstone sharpening set I was looking for. They didn't have the set but put together a set of stones and holder that exceeded the original set's quality for exactly the same price.
Of course, these are franchises so the store quality will depend on the owner/manager. In the Raleigh store we couldn't ask for a better manager than Tom Ferone.
Usual disclaimers apply... TWS
In the past they will order the item and ship it to your door for free. You just pay the local sales tax.

A nice gesture, but does not always solve the problem. If I want something shipped and ca wait a few days, I'll probably do it from home and the Lee Valley web page. Part way through a project I find I need a new widget, or the bandsaw blade breaks, I usually want it NOW.
In the case of the dovetail jig, it is a purchase that usually has been thought about for a while and a few extra day makes no difference. Ed
Also, I've found that they are very helpful calling them. You can fill out a yellow card and when the item arrives it will be kept in the back for 30 days so you can pick it up. I can't recall his name, but a Knoxville Woodcraft employee unstuck my 2-3 morse taper adapter. He said it was the most difficult adapter he has encountered, but to have it taken apart made my day. In general, thumbs up to the Knoxville Woodcraft store!

I too have issues with the Knoxville Woodcraft store. It would not be so bad if they would notify me via email about a backorder, but they insist calling me on the phone which I have limited access. Get their catalog, call them, and ask if the items you want are in stock before going to their store.