Woodcraft clamp deal

Page 1 of 3
Someone posted a few days ago the deal on clamps from Woodcraft. I ordered them and the FedEx guy pulled up just as I was starting a glue up (he must have known).
For $20, no shipping, these are a good deal. They're not Jorgensons but worth the money and the spring clamps are also sturdy.
http://www.woodcraft.com//family.aspx?familyid 067&HomePageDeal=True

Looks almost too good to be true -- what's the country of origin?
--
Regards,
I think you can comparable clamps at your local Harbor Freight store cheaper.

"Cheaper", no doubt -- and I *know* where *those* came from -- it's the "comparable" part that I'm wondering about.

--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Box reads, "Made in China to Columbian specifications".

Excuse me? "Columbian specifications"?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

The company, not the country :-).
Part of the WMH tool group (Jet, etc.)
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Hadn't heard of that before; thanks for the clarification. That had me puzzled for a while...

--
Regards,

Thanks for the info, but I already have too many clamps. ;>}

You get FedEx on Sundays? Good deal!

Both clamps at Harbor Freight and Woodcraft are not made in the US so if one is going to buy those types of clamps go for equal but cheaper price.

one
There's the US and then there's the rest of the world, right?
CW wrote:

No, there is where you live and then there's the rest of the world. Whenever possible / economical you should try to support the "where you live" stuff first.
Pete C.

You should support quality above all else, economy second and nationalism dead last. If "where you live" makes the best stuff at the best prices, then by all means buy it. If they make crap at outrageous prices, buying it only encourages them to continue.
Brian Henderson wrote:

But what about the environment? Cargo ships burn a lot of fossil fuels.
RayV wrote:

They do, however given the phenomenal amount of cargo they move I expect their actual efficiency is quite high especially given the fact that they don't have to stop at traffic lights and similar fuel guzzling delays. Once they leave port it's pretty much an efficient non stop cruise at optimum speed the whole way.
Pete C.

Overall, they are still using a lot more fuel than buying something made in the USA.
Once the containers hit a US port, they still have to be moved to at least one warehouse and then perhaps to a distributor's warehouse. From there, it has to be shipped to you.
If an item is made in the USA, it may be shipped from the manufacturer directly, or shipped to a distributor and then to you.
The made in the USA item won't have all that fuel used by the container ship and getting the item to/from the container ship.
I don't strictly buy made in the USA items, but country of origin is certainly a factor. Many items are just not made in the USA anymore or are very hard to find.
Brian Elfert
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:21:05 +0000, Brian Elfert wrote:

This whole argument that shipping from Asia "wastes fuel" is Politically Correct buffoonery.
Factories don't make metal, they buy it from a mill and then cast, forge, and machine it into the finished product. Mills don't mine metal, they buy ore from a mine. So the ore gets shipped from the mine, and a fraction of the weight of the ore gets shipped from the mill as iron or steel and a fraction of the weight of that is shipped by the factory as finished tools. The US does not have all the raw materials to make modern tools--no matter where the tool is made there is significant shipping of some component of it from overseas, if not as a finished part then as ore or other raw materials. And it usually uses a lot more energy to ship that ore than it does to ship the tool.
If you want to buy American because you're loyal to your contry that's fine, but don't delude yourself that you are "saving energy".

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

"Politically Correct buffoonery", now that is an oxymoron.
J. Clarke wrote:
I really don't care what the energy costs are because they are built into the overall cost of the product just as various local living standards are. But I DO care whether my local marketplace is healthy and that suggests that I purchase from it myself if I am able to do so and not prohibited by:
* high cost * simple unavailability * low quality * impeding regulations or other statutory restrictions.
Why? Because I know my customers and I know that they tend to live within 10 miles of me (with a couple of exceptions in California and one in England). So money I pump into the local economy, to the extent that it remains here, ultimately benefits me too. I sell a pen to the guy who sells gas to the guy I buy bread from.
When I start seeing a significant number of my sales going to Taiwan or mainland China, I will make extra effort to buy from them. As it is, I now have to go out of my way to buy locally made goods.
Bill
--
Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as
one goes on.