Wood Suppliers

Hi all, New to the forum. I'm starting a small project and need to source some Cherry lumber. I wonder if anyone has openions (good or bad) about the following suppliers. Or if you have recommendations for your favorite supplier. Unfortunately my local source had recently gone belly up, so I'm force to go to the internet. Thanks in advance for any advice. BF
http://www.constantines.com/ http://www.exoticwoodsusa.com/ http://www.woodworkerssource.com/
On 6/18/2014 11:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

Only one of those I know anything of is Constanties -- will be what they say it is but their pricing is generally on the gold-plated level.

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:46:28 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

How small of a project? I have a small cache of scraps I'll send you, for postage fees only. First 3 pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?details=1
Sonny

How much is the postage on that gator?
On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:51:21 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

Probably more expensive than, if, you spent for a week's vacation, down her e, and caught her yourself. She's about 1/4 mile from our pond, so she wil l need to be removed, along with her babies. Papa gator, about 10' long, is in the back slough. He needs to be removed, also.
Sonny
On 06/18/2014 08:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

If you're in the pacific northwest, I'd go to edensaw.com.
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:46:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

Where are you located? Perhaps someone can recommend a local supplier.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:46:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

You can also try http://www.woodfinder.com /, http://www.woodmizer.com/us/ResourceCenter/FindaCustomSawyer.aspx , or do a google search for hardwood and give a location.

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:46:04 -0700, Jim Weisgram

Thanks everyone, rather a more helpful newsgroup than I'm used to. I'll check the other suggested sites. The project is a small gate leg drop leaf that will take about 8 board feet. Probably a bit more than you scrap supply Sonny, but thanks for the offer. I'm in S East Ohio. I know that there are small mills about but don't actually know where or if they want to bother with the public, especially for a small quantity. BF
On 6/18/2014 3:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

http://ohiohardwoods.com/
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

< snips >

Check out your local Woodworkers Clubs - they will help you out. ... probably a few guys in your area with bandsaw mills too - who might point you in the right direction .. John T. < S. Ontario >
--- ---
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:46:28 -0400, BF wrote:

Woodcraft has it, but like Constantine's, they're expensive:
<http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2083858/36256/Cherry-10-Board-Foot- Lumber-Pack.aspx>
I've had good luck with Wall Lumber as well:
http://www.walllumber.com/sho.asp
That's #1 Common, but they also have 20 sq ft bundles of clear:
http://www.walllumber.com/lum.asp
On 6/18/2014 11:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

I'd go along with others' opinions on these three.
Suggestion... Have you tried Craigslist for your area. I'm in the NW suburbs of Chicago and have stumbled across a number of small, out of the garage, wood sources. While I haven't yet taken a bite of the apple, the wood and ads looked enticing both for quality and pricing.
A lot depends, too, on what you need and how much work you can do yourself. Looking for S4 or can you run it through a planer or jointer in your shop?
On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:47:04 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Thanks again everyone, some more good suggestions. BF
Have you checked craigs list yet?
On 6/18/2014 12:46 PM, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 12:46:28 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net wrote:

Craigslist came through. Scored about 30 bdft of nice 4/4 and 6/4 board for $4 / bdft.
Thanks to all who responded BF

You got a decent price. Much better than from any of those you listed, I am sure.
If you need more in the future and if you live close enough to North Carolina for shipping costs to make sense, here are a couple I favor.
http://hardwoodstore.com/lumber-prices http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp
--

dadiOH

Thanks, I'll hang onto those.

Second the recommendation of Wall Lumber. They are good people to deal with.
FWIW, they are north of Greensboro in N Carolina, just a stone's throw from the Virginia border. Probably a tad too far to drive from Ohio, but shipping should be reasonable.
John
On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 01:37:37 +0000, John McCoy wrote:

I've had good luck with them as well. Even shipping out west, which doubled the prices, was still lower cost than local. But I bought 100 board feet at a time.