Vintage Chairs

I was curious if anyone could identify these chairs.

jameshaines

Generically, they are Eames chairs.

Reply to
dadiOH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, jameshaines belched:

they appear to be Knoll or Herman Miller knock offs. Also very hard to reupholster because the cover is sewn to the black rubber at edge and the cover is glued to the chair/foam.

Reply to
ChairMan

ber at edge and the cover is glued to the chair/foam.

And probably molded foam, of sorts, vacuum pressed onto the chair, first, a nd the upholstery is/might also be vacuum glue-pressed onto the foam. The re was a guy, here, who used to repair/upholster similar/assortment of comm ercial chairs using a vacuum press. He applied that technique to some of his auto/bike/marine reupholstering, also.

Taking that vacuum cue, I once tried repairing/replacing the molded foam of a trashed tractor seat. Wrong kind of foam, but it half-ass worked. It was fine for my BIL, so nothing was lost. I suppose a larger piece and/or a more intricate piece would be more problematic for vacuum pressing effic iently.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I saw somewhat similar chairs yesterday, in Austell GA, not that far from the item location.

Austell seems to be a city of discounts, wholesalers and used. We went to buy paint, mistints, $4 gallon, $2 quart, $20 5 gallon. Good stuff, Benny Moore and Porter mostly. Just not in antique white. Came back with a 8 1/2 gallons of paint and primer, a blender, several hundred yards of masking tape and a giant bungee cord, under $60.

Jeff

Reply to
pentapus