small project

I had some work to do for someone. They have these dollies for AV equipment, and he wanted new handles routed into the dollies.... simple right.

Well when I saw them, I knew I had to remove the wheels, and somehow needed to round over the topside which has doublers. I don't have a trim router so how was I going to do it.

Well the first problem wound up being that after removing the bolts the wheels would not come off at all. I suspect they painted them and put them on too soon. A stiff putty knife was not able to break the bond. I was just digging into the paint and wood deeper and deeper as it dove under.

So a simple project was turning into a bit of a challenge. I had made a template to route the shape, but w/o removing the wheels, I was not able to clamp it. The router did not fit between the wheels with a solid base, so I switched to my plunge base and do to the flat on one side was just able to fit. But I still could not shape it w/o clamps. And I did not want to tape it on for fear of pulling the finish off.

My sabre saw didn't fit between the wheels either. So I drilled the ends using a 1.5 fostener, then used the sabre saw standing like a plunge cut.. (kept catching on the wheels).

For the top side, I mounted a router bit in my drill press and set the speed to the fastest speed. I used my DRO to lower the bit to the same height every time then locked it in.

Sometimes a piece of cake job, can be a real challenge.

about 2 hours and glad it's over.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:Cc2dnceoI6pHZRbKnZ2dnUU7-d snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Looks good.

Could you have filled the space between the two pieces with a piece of wood (to give the saw a free area to ride on), and cut the hand holds with a longer sabre saw blade? You'd have to got through the top, naturally.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I could have, There were metal plates rivited to the wood, and they would not come out. So the saw would be unsupported as well past that filler piece. But still would not be able to route. Wish I had a working trim router.

Reply to
woodchucker

You might want to check out my response to Leon in this thread: "Trim Router: Rigid Fixed Base vs. Grizzly T27139 Plunge - Opinions?"

Leon suggested the Rocky 30 trim router from MLCS. I called and found that they just introduced a kit with both a fixed base and plunge base, currently on sale for $94.95.

You can't find the kit on their website yet, but you can order SKU 9060 on the Quick Order page. I just ordered mine a few minutes ago.

Woo-hoo - A new project, a new tool!

Reply to
DerbyDad03