Wood motorcycle "saddlebags"?

Page 2 of 2

Not just Brits, but bikers everywhere. I few years back I was traveling to London every other week for a few months. I usually had a day to myself when I arrived and I always wanted to make the Bike museum one of my daytrips. I was always sorry that I didn't once my traveling came to an end. Now I am regret it even more.
-Chris
Take a look here for inspiration...
Not saddlebags, but quilts, caps, and jackets made from wood. A must see.
http://home1.gte.net/fraser /
replying to dan, O-B-1 wrote:

I saw a pair of wood saddlebags on a HD here in Tri-Cities Washington. They looked GOOD...
I was thinking making some of side panels of thin plywood, then use steam-shaped veneer around top/front/rear/bottom. Epoxy them all together. Then wrap them in leather so I have leather "hard bags".
As for durability? Have you seen the stock plastic saddle bags on the Internet for sale after being down on the pavement? Not pretty, but they still want $800 a pair after they've been thrashed...
I would say go for it if you haven't yet. The set I saw on the HD looked like red cedar or redwood...
O-B-1