wood gloat...

Page 1 of 2
my next door neighbor is moving to warmer climes.... he's 85.... and a *retired* woodowrker.... i have already asked about his tools, but his kids have gotten most of them....oh well..... but he is giving me all his old wood.... while most of it will heat the doiwnstairs (in the fire)... he did have some nice walnut, cherry and maple pieces. mostly thin... approx 1/2 inch... but enough of it to make some nice projects.... my question is... i have never really worked with walnut or hickory.... is there anything special to finishing this wood ? i am sure that SWMBO will come up with some project to use the wood.... so i may as well ask now.... she has that look in her eye...
thanx......
Nothing trickey with walnut. It will look great when you apply a finish. A word of caution though, compared to Oak, Walnut is relative soft IMHO and it will easily ding if you are not careful with it.

Naw... Any good latex paint will do.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
can only guess that you put ketchup on a good t-bone steak too...pine or poplar for you...

Nothing wrong with jummy wood, but I do like walnut (I've done some small boxes and ornaments with it) and am currently working on a coffee table that will be a combo of oak and some old softwood that I think is fir (recycled from a very old table).
Seriously, I typically finish hardwood with tung oil and paste wax.
And for the steak, it's HP sauce.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
...even HP is a foul (I come from a long line of meat people and they turn over in their graves enough as it is...if you don't like the taste of plain beef, order chicken) but please no latex paint on oak or walnut.

Tom Kohlman responds:

I always like the people who love the taste of---insert game type---and can't wait to get some. Cook it until it's rigid, then coat it with salsa and keep going, "Mmmmmmmmmmm, great!"
Charlie Self "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

can't
keep
That reminds me of an old Carp recipe. Catch a Carp, and nail the whole thing on to a board. Put both in the oven and bake at 500 degrees for 5 hours. Then remove both from the oven, remove the Carp and throw it away. Eat the board.

Sorta like cooking a cormorant, 'cept with a board instead of a brick, and a carp instead of a cormorant.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

I suppose you don't even use salt? Heck, why even cook the stuff? Why even skin the cow? Just walk out into the pasture and chow down!
;-)

You're built too low to the ground, Tom... The fast ones go over your head! <d&r>
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
...damn...I've been found out on my beef eating habits (hidden cameras everywhere I guess...I knew I should of stayed away from that funny looking hay bale). But I'll repeat, no latex paint on oak or walnut...oil-base paint works much better.

LOL!
djb
--
-------------------
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

They you can apply one of those "antiquing kits" to add some wood grain to make it look authentic. Ed
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

If you're good with those paints, you can make walnut look just like birch.
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:22:16 -0500, Silvan

Why bother when you can just use household bleach. Check out the "mapleizing ebony" thread that Eisan started back in April.
Luigi Note the new email address. Please adjust your krillfiles (tmAD) accordingly Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
Sears sells one in a walnut color.
    sheeesh.     j4
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

What's HP sauce? I cringe whenever my wife puts ketchup or A1 on her steak, especially since I usually pick out the cuts we eat.
What a waste of a good cut of meat.
Joe
<http://www.hpfoods.com/brands/hpsauce/
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
I've never seen that product for sale around here. Must be a regional thing.

Dunno where "round here" is but it'a available across Canada and I have friends on both the east and west US coasts that use it.
djb
--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?