Wood for food use

Page 2 of 2

Ah, that explains it :-)
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:02:07 -0800, Larry Jaques
As the simplest and most obvious local examples, the three top level avian predators in England, Scotland and Wales (Golden Eagles, Ospreys, Red Kites) were driven almost to extinction by it.

You mean because of thin shells? Nope.
<http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc98/4_25_98/fob2.htm
And
<http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C06/C06Links/www.altgreen.com.au/Chemica ls/ddt.html>
Eggshells in the UK started thinning 47 years before DDT.
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he

You referred to birds. The reasonable assuption, given the hysteria from the anti-DDT crew, is that thin shells is what you meant as that is what is screamed about regularly, even though it's at best questionable.
Recent studies SINCE the 50s and 60s have pretty much discredited the research that inspired the ban on DDT and there is something of a movement to bring it back as a mechanisi to help fight mosquito-borne disease (which are certainly not that big a concern in the UK, but it is in Canada.)
I'm open to evidence, Andy. Please post the cites that support your assertions. I promise I'm not being combatitive and am sincerely interested in real studies.
djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:26:52 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy

Cites? Proper use or haphazard overuse? IIRC, they proved that things other than DDT caused peregrine falcon egg thinning.
--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous

Don't have the cite handy, but there is significant evidence that a very large number of deaths in Africa due to malaria could have been prevented had DDT been allowed to be used.

That 12'th toe don't mean nothin' :-)
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 20:33:31 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark

John's cite had 2.7 million per year for countries who also abandoned its use. I guess that's one way to do population control, huh?

I'm quintradextrous. Could it be my prehensile fore-appendage that makes you uneasy?
--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous

Yes, it's documented in breastfeeding, and there's some concern at eating pigs (fatty meat) that may have been exposed to it. DDT never harmed aything that ate it itself, it's when it's concentrated further up the food chain that it was a problem. Humans tend not to eat predators, so we get at most one level of concentration.
Irish Red Setters were very badly affected by it (kidney failure at a couple of years old), but then in those days that was a breed of dog suffering badly from inbreeding.
Yes, it's also used to make wooden Peels, the paddles they use to move pizza around in the oven. Bugs