wood finish stained white by water

We have a old wooden dressing table. I over-filled a plant pot standing on it, and some of the water ran out of the saucer and lay for a few day under a hand mirror.
Where the water lay, it has turned the wood finish a milky white.
Would be very grateful for any advice to remove this white stain please. Many thanks.

Misty says to use mayonaise http://www.wtol.com/global/story.asp?s 32149
The finish should return on its own if you leave it uncovered so the moisture can escape. I would give it at least two weeks before tryimg anything that could make it worse.
--

Too much is not enough!
rvojtash NOT THIS at comcast (dot) net

on
Might return pretty much in color, but you've run water through the finish into the wood, and it'll stand up a bit under the finish unless you are lucky and had a real good water set before final finish. Warning - if you use an abrasive on it, it might flake off and look ugly. Oil rub to darken it - mayo is oil and egg - and live with the swollen fibers.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:07:54 GMT, "jwiiiiiiiiiiiiii"

Water has seeped under the finish. A dab of mayonnaise and soft cloth should help.

thanks for the suggestions. left it for two weeks as advised, but very little change. then applied mayonnaise (hellermans) leaving it on thickly for a day. but sad to say no real change. any other thoughts gratefully received. thanks
On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 19:52:32 GMT, "jw 11111"

It's more likely "on" than "under" which would darken the wood. From the sounds of it, ["it's been there a few days"], it might be deep enough to cause a major refinishing.
If close to the surface [it's in the finish, top layer] a VERY mild abrasion might do the trick. E.G. salt in veggie oil, rub *lightly* with a pad or finger in a cloth. E.G a mild abrasive like toothpaste ...rub on wipe off. Some recommend 0000 steel wool ..again applied very lightly, then rewaxing. I'd use water paper rather than steel wool if going that way.
First, take a good look with a raking light. If the surface of the finish looks porous, you would need to refinish that area. If not, see if you can identify the finish. If it's very old, might even be shellac. Try warming the area with a hair dryer (note: warm, not-not hot), and try a cloth ball with just a little denatured alcohol, rubbing around the area and a firm pressure. Even if it's not shellac, the alcohol may help. Just keep the pad clean. GerryG

tried the hairdryer no joy. tried the toothpaste and bingo! success. many thanks to y'all. my life will now be spared, since this is the wife's old but much loved dressingtable. thanks again. john west