Wood apparently stained by lath?

My BIL is helping someone with a home renovation which involves gutting a

100+ year old house. The original walls were plaster on lath which has been removed. They would like to rebuild in such a way that the original structural members are visible. (I have not seen it but I assume that it must be post & beam construction). The structural members are some type of confer. It is unknown what type of wood the lath was.

The problem is that the lath apparently left a dark brown stain where it contacted the structural wood. The stain is not just superficial. it goes in at least 1/8". Pressure washing and sandblasting were attempted with no success.

What would cause this type of stain and might there be a chemical remedy?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Paint? Probably not what you wanted to hear. Semi transparent stain? probably better than paint but will still leave a bit of evidence.

Bleaching probably wouldn't work but you could try. oxalic acid is often used for wood bleaching.

Second google hit found this

luck

Reply to
No

Cause is probably plaster reaction. As someone else noted, almost surely it could be bleached out w/ oxalic acid, but my question would be "Why would you want to do that?" Would seem the character of 100+ years would be desirable...of course, after the previous adventures outlined above, there won't be anything left so may as well give it a go...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The "character" of 100+ years often looks quite different to what 100+ years looks like.

Certainly in interior design.

Reply to
Andy Dingley