Structural Wood Replacement Guidelines after Termite Infestation?

Hi all:

I previously asked here about replacing exterior wall structural members after a termite infestation

and I've finally gotten around to actually doing the work.

Are there rules of thumb, building code sections or other guidelines about how much damage needs to be done to a structural member before it needs to be replaced? There are pieces of the framing (e.g., wall studs) that have obviously been hit by termites, but where it seems clear to me that the vast majority (> 75%) of the original wood is still there and intact. I'd like to avoid tearing out "fairly sound" pieces if I don't have to.

TIA.

Tom Young

Reply to
TomYoung

If it looks good, it probably is. For just wall studs, etc., wouldn't worry about it much at all other than you'll need the surface edges to hang sheetrock/siding to. If it's basically there but need that edge, a couple of choices--a) scab a short piece to the side, or b) cut in a piece to patch in the damaged section.

For "real" structural load-bearing members such as joists, headers, etc., you'll want essentially the same load-bearing capacity as was there initially just to be on the (perhaps cautiously) safe side.

--

Reply to
dpb

Check with a ice pick or knife point, the outside surface may look good, but termites may have eaten out the insides.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Although the termites were probably attracted to damp/wet wood resulting from "tub" leaks somewhere, you still have to find out where they gained access to the structure. From the shoddy build method used, I wouldn't be surprised if the outside stucco extends DOWN below grade (into the soil/backfill). Ideally, there should be up to 6" of visible concrete foundation below the bottom edge of the stucco. That way, termites would have to build 'tubes' creeping up the concrete to get to the wood structure. If the stucco and paper is below grade, they have ready access to your walls.

I've seen properly built walls with the foundation "reveal" be backfilled/covered by landscapers to a depth where the soil/mulch is then lying against the stucco.

Looking at the "inside" pictures, I can't guess what there is outside at ground level but I'm guessing NO concrete ?

BTW, In the development where I built in 1998 (AZ ground infested with termites), I sprayed all the lower 4 feet of the 2X6 framing and OSB sheathing, in & out prior to application of the construction paper/foam/wire/stucco with TIMBOR solution. After the initial commercial termite application (DURSBAN 1%-several hundred gallons used) I bought DURSBAN from the local builders supply and every two years or so, would spray 1% all along the outer foundation, with a heavier application where I knew there were foundation penetrations. After 5 years, I had no termite problems. The neighbors (frame) home next door (I watched a shoddy termite pre-treat done) had termite "tubes" up & into the walls before the house was even finished and they persisted, even up to the roof structure needing remedial work every year for the "5". Another neighbor with a CBS home had the termites eat their way up the inside of the sheetrock "paper" and even came thru the walls into/ and 'ate' picture framing hanging on the walls. I would guess that had a lousy termite Pre-treat there too.

BTW2, I think TIMBOR is still available but DURSBAN had been 'banned"

Reply to
Rudy