fixing stained wood

Put together panel door for shop cabinet. Is stained with an oil-based stain as a base, then a water-based stain on top. On one stile,noticed the planer had chipped out the wood, so now it has pockets of stain so it looks blotchy. Because remaiing rails and stiles look good, would like to fix. Can I use a damp iron to raise the wood? What will the oil and water stains do?

Other ways I know to fix is either: a) sand it down, use stainable wood putty, restain b) router off 1/4 inch, glue on thick veneer and restain the veneer.

What is your vote?

Reply to
cc

Chip other stiles in similar manner and restain so they all have specks.

No chip out can't be ironed out, only dents.

hard to do anyth> Put together panel door for shop cabinet. Is stained with an oil-based

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

LMAO.... now that's fix I like!

"Uhhhhh.... sure lady, it's look that way. I had to do every single one by hand with a hammer. It's called distressed. I can't believe you didn't know that."

I am remembering the day when we did all kinds of nasty things to wood when folks wanted distressed finishes. We tapped the wood with hammers, laid screw in the wood and tapped the screw threads, hit wood with chain, dropped sharp and heavy things on it, and then used different colors of stain flicked on the finish with a whisk broom.

Then we glazed it to highlight the imperfections, and then put a nice finish coat over that.

UGLY and NASTY, I can't personally say enough bad things about that

60's - 80's style of finish. That wasn't really finishing at all... it was wood abuse.

As for CC, I agree with Sonoma P. There really isn't much at all you can do now except stain darker and try to blend in your colors.

If it were me and it was a restoration I would dig out as much stain as I could without damaging the wood. Think EXACTO knives and Dremels here. I would put a bit of sanding sealer or wood conditioner in the chips. Then I would take the oil based stains and match the color on a scrap until I got what I wanted and paint the chips, NOT wiping off the color stain unless it is to blend in the colors.

For a multitude of reasons, it is always good to use a conditioner of some sort before staining. At the best, it will help you have control over blotchiness and overall color control. It will also help mitigate the color absorption in the little pockets/dent/chips as they will get a good dose of conditioner first.

This will slow down the absorption of your color since the damage broken grains fibers won't wick in the colors as fast or as much since they will be partially sealed with the conditioner.

Good luck!

Robert

chuckling... chip the other stiles....

Reply to
nailshooter41

Distressed finish comment:

I actually really like distressed finishes. If I drop my hammer by mistake I'll just charge a little more.

I actually had the idea and did some sketches to make a really big sort of tumbler. I was going to strap the piece of furniture inside a big sort of barrel (think cement mixer or clothes dryer), toss in a hand full of tools, fastners, chain and then let it run for prescribed time depending on how much distress you wer looking for.

Still might do it some day just for fun.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Someone's already created the machine. It's called a "UPS truck". ;-)

Reply to
Nova

Nice! And so true.

On Fedex Ground I had a piece dissapear. Fed ex said their "last mile" contractor was the problem. Some loser company that delivers in the backwoods where Fedex dare not go I suppose. My client said he got hold of them when he saw it shown as having been delivered but he didn't have it. They claimed to have delivered it to the wrong house and said they had a pickup and re-deliver scheduled. After a few days of that I found out about it and got involved. When I got hold of the loser company they said "oh you have to call the morning shift." So I called and they said "you have to talk to the afternoon shift." I explaind they said to talk with the morning shift already, she said "let me put you on hold" and then hung up. My call back was then not answered.

I called Fedex and told them the story and submitted an insurance claim right then. I then built and sent a second piece. Fedex paid the claim in whole with what I sold the piece for so I made the margin on the same piece twice. About two weeks later the flattened box with ratteling parts inside and tire marks over the top was on my doorstep flagged as "undeliverable, address does not exist."

Nice. The craftsman end table was rubble.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I kinda got even with them for you (also true).

I ordered 10 cases (12 cans per case) of solvent based day-glow orange pavement marking paint for my job, but had them delivered to my home for convenience to myself.

The paint cans have a donut shaped cap with a finger cut out so that the cap doesn't have to be removed to spray the paint.

The cases apparently were stacked three high along the side of the truck for delivery. The driver took the turn onto my street too fast causing the cases to tip over, busting open three the box tops and hitting the caps just right to set off 36 of the paint cans inside the truck.

The entire inside of the truck was a bright day-glow orange. The FedEx dispatcher told the driver he would have to clean the truck when he got back to the terminal.

Reply to
Nova

Could he breathe in the truck?

Reply to
B A R R Y

On Fedex Ground I had a piece dissapear. Fed ex said their "last mile" contractor was the problem. Some loser company that delivers in the backwoods where Fedex dare not go I suppose.

I'm certain FedEx is a fine company; however, when it comes to making deliveries to us, they would screw up a wet dream.

We only accept UPS shipments.

Have had the same UPS guy for more than 10 years.

Have yet to have a problem.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm only about six houses down from the corner where they tipped over so he wasn't in there with the fumes very long.

Reply to
Nova

LMAO!!!

Damn that was funny, Jack!

I have a great picture of a cartoon character running for his life when a bee hive is dropped in his truck!

I don't like those guys... too bad you don't have a picture of the insides of the truck!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

In the UK, UPS are among the better quality couriers!

Reply to
Stuart

God save the Queen.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On Tue, 07 Apr 2009 23:42:41 GMT, the infamous Nova scrawled the following:

Oh, man! Heartbreaking story.

Huh? Orange is for marking telecom lines. What mountain are you going to mark for telecom, Yack?

I have to use white when I need to dig in a client's yard.

Eek! I'll bet that was a real mess.

------ We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Uhmm... Telco lines, the long distance kind. I mark them with three letters and an "&".

Reply to
Nova

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 15:33:38 -0400, the infamous Nova scrawled the following:

Still, that's a whole lot of paint.

Reply to
Larry Jaques