Re: What is it? XLIX

Just guesses of course, but...

272. Some sort of screen door fastener. Maybe to hold the glass or screen in place?

273. Sprinkler pipe clamp.

274. I would guess at an old chaulk or ink dispenster for carpenters, etc.

277. Cheap but effective "nut" for use on fiber board or soft woods with light duty carriage bolts, etc. Digs into the wood as you tighten the fastener and thus does not spin?

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

eBay:
a good travel agent? I need one. Really.

Reply to
Joe

Or glue applicator

Actually called a "teenut," (works similarly to real teenuts for clamping workpieces for machining, but in wood or plastic to mount various positioning aids) Use a lot of them making custom wheelchair rehab seating.

Reply to
Johan

XLIX? Am I misreading this? If you're going for "19" then it should be written, "XIX". Otherwise it's speld Exlax.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I am sure others will point out that the Roman numeral L stands for 50 XL would give 40 XLIX would give 49

But inquiring minds would like to know if IL would work?

DanG
272--Sliding door or window stop 273--Lathe dog 274--Pin striping device 275--Hand launcher for trap shooting 276--Iris diaphragm for camera lens 277--Tee nut
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

There are those who say that it's bad form to subtract anything but the next lower "denomination" from a given symbol, i.e., XL, 40 plus IX, 9, gives 49. But you can't do VL for 45 or IL for

  1. I think XC works for 90, but not IC for 99 or VC for 95.

But I'm pretty sure that that's mostly a "school of thought", as opposed to a hard-and-fast rule.

BTW, I know what 272 and 277 are, but am afraid to guess on any of the others, except that 273 looks like a holder of some kind for something round. Maybe a bipod for a boresight scope or something.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've always wanted to see a step by step example of how a long division problem with a couple of "not too easy" numbers is solved in the Roman numeral system. Can someone show me/us one?

The ancient Hebrew numeral system is even simpler as only addition is needed to determine the full value, there's no subtraction of lower denominations located to the left of higher ones. If interested, see:

Jeff Wisnia

The tip of the bolt is actually a little bit convex, and the bolt is not very long so I don't think it's a nutcracker.

Reply to
R.H.

Could be

Yes, tee nut is the answer that I was looking for here.

Reply to
R.H.

Close but not correct.

Not sure here...

Possibly, not sure about this one either.

Correct.

Reply to
R.H.

Correct

Still awaiting good links to verify these two

All correct.

Reply to
R.H.

Oooops. You, of course, are right. My brain was telling me the L was 5 for some reason...

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

*First* you figure out how to do multiplication. (note: multiplying by *five* or *ten* is easy -- all you do is 'change the letters'; multiplying by anything else is *messy*. e.g., what's "IV * XL"?)

Division is done by 'multiply and subtract'. and 'summing' the various multiplicands that you end up using..

Note: some of this stuff was *easier* with 'early Roman' numbering -- which did *not* have the concept of the 'prefixed' symbol for a 'negative'. The _position_ of a symbol simply *DID*NOT*MATTER*. IIIXVLCC meant exactly the same thing as CCLXVII. this made for "simplified" addition -- you could just concatenate the two numbers. Or, if feeling fancy, sort the symbols by 'magnitude', and replace 'excess' occurrences of any particular symbol with a single occurrence of a larger-magnitude symbol. repeat until no further reductions were possible. Example:

IIII * XXXX = XXXX + XXXX + XXXX + XXXX => XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX => LLLX => CLX

Division is _relatively_ straightforward in 'early' numbering. It is fairly simple to find the largest 'power of ten' (or 5 times a power of 10) of the divisor that is smaller than the dividend. This is, after all, just a 'shift the characters', operation. So, you subtract that value. and repeat as needed. Note: you'll never have to subtract the same value more than 4 times, so the process is _not_ all that onerous.

With "late" Roman numerals, I strongly suspect that division was accomplished by first 're-writing' in 'old style', doing the division, and 'reducing' the result.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Correct.

Do you know of a web site that could verify this one?

Here is some background on this item, as stated in the email from the owner:

"Found in my late Father-in-laws' estate. He had been an engineer at Pratt & Whitney Aircraft in Hartford, but this was from his personal shop. He was a tinkerer extraordinaire.

Seems to be an oiler or something, with the small rolling notched wheel dispensing whatever was in the vial (looks like a striking wheel from a Zippo, but not used that way here).

The round head screw on the side is for attaching to something that would go through the hole, which does not have a passage into the nozzle.

This fits nicely into the hand, with thumb and finger resting in the opposing depressions."

These three are correct, aperture for 276.

Reply to
R.H.

These two from last week are correct.

This one isn't a sprayer.

Reply to
R.H.

Thanks, I'll have to do some research on this.

Reply to
R.H.

I've been going to a web site that translates to and from roman numerals, since they are kind of tricky if you don't use them very much.

Reply to
R.H.

You might be right, it is just part of a camera, I'll post a photo of the whole piece in a day or two.

Reply to
R.H.
272. Some kind of clamp, but I don't know what for.

273. Lathe dog.

274. Pinstripe painter. Fill the bottle with paint, invert it, and roll paint on with the wheel. If not for paint, then some other liquid, maybe adhesive.

275. Thing for throwing clay pigeons when shooting skeet. (Save the poor, defenseless skeets! ;-)

276. Camera iris.

277. Tee-nut for wood or particle board.

Now, I'll go read the other answers on rec.crafts.metalworking...

-Ron

Reply to
Ron DeBlock

The shutter is behind the iris. The iris is first opened to the calculated/selected F-stop, then the shutter opens briefly.

What we're looking at here is the iris.

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn