Why Do Batteries Suck So Much And When Is It Going To Stop?

Page 3 of 4

Have to make sure SWMBO doesn't see this or she will get all teary-eyed! We sold ours a few years ago with 235k miles on it. And we did so only after finally giving up on trying to find a rational reason to sell it, and just admitting we wanted a change. It was probably the best vehicle we have owned, and was running great and looking pretty darned good too when we sold it.

... snip

Can't comment from direct experience with hybrids, but battery life would be one of my concerns with them as well. Here in AZ, a car battery is usually good for about 2 years, whether it is a 36, 48, or 60 month battery -- it's good for about 2 years. After having experienced this on my pickup, in our old Explorer, and in our replacement for the Explorer, the result has been the same -- batteries in Tucson are good for about 2 years. After frying my dash panel in the F-150 trying to jump start the 48 month battery that died after about 2 years, I decided that I was going to replace my batteries every two years -- it's cheaper than a $500 dash panel replacement.
So, when I see these hybrids, I wonder the same thing as you, only I'm asking, how expensive is it to replace *those* batteries every 2 years?
Yep -- batteries suck.

Tom Watson wrote:

We hit the limits of battery chemistry long ago, Tom. It'll never get any better.
Fuel cells may be more to your liking. Hang in there.
On 4 Sep 2005 20:53:42 -0700, the blithe spirit "Dhakala"

Oh, bullpuckey. Nicads improved, LIon batts came out, air batteries came out, lithiums improved, chargers improved. Change is still happening.
.-. Better Living Through Denial --- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
"Larry Jaques" wrote

indicated:
You're absolutely right Larry ... but since the discussions on the wreck have devolved into subjective shouting matches, any attempt to apply facts and analyze the situation gets drowned out.
"Facts ... we don't need no stinkin' facts!"
This thread will be spun the way of pretty much every other thread in the past year or so ... completely out of control, with logic tossed out the window, and the "winner" will be the person that enflames the most readers. Kind of like what our press is doing today ... except the press does it for money, these amateurs do it for fun.
I countered most of the arguments brought forth on the theory that battery technology hit the ceiling, only to see yet another "yea, but" divergence that has little or nothing to do with the topic at hand. It has gotten to the point where I killfile people that "yea, but" conversations just to argue ... and I see that I'm nuking about 50% of the daily messages.
I think I'll just head back to my shop and make some sawdust. I've decided I need to make a couple of scratch gauges and I'm going to attempt to make myself some cam clamps. Once I've gotten those out of the way I'm going to start on a scratch-built guitar (no kits, no reverse-engineered plans ... just starting with an idea and a book). I like the idea of using native woods in my projects, thought the thought of anything but a spruce top has people cringing. Let's see ... rock maple and cherry, no poly and no stain (well, I MIGHT tint the fretboard for contrast). If it doesn't play, I'll use it as a splitting maul!
Any progress on your bow saw? (really big grin!)
Rick
On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:11:19 GMT, the blithe spirit "Rick M"

You're probably right. <sigh>

<g>
My "I" button kicks out a lot more than that nowadays. <sigh2>

Acoustic gitfiddle? Yeah, they probably cringe for good reason. But your first is your -practice- gitfiddle, so go for it!

If you must, fume the cherry or use some potassium dichromate on it.

No, not lately. Hold your breath and I'll let you know, Blue.
.-. Better Living Through Denial --- http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
| | >"Larry Jaques" wrote | >> Oh, bullpuckey. Nicads improved, LIon batts came out, air batteries | >> came out, lithiums improved, chargers improved. Change is still | >> happening. | > | >You're absolutely right Larry ... but since the discussions on the wreck | >have devolved into subjective shouting matches, any attempt to apply facts | >and analyze the situation gets drowned out. | > | >"Facts ... we don't need no stinkin' facts!" | | You're probably right. <sigh> | | | >This thread will be spun the way of pretty much every other thread in the | >past year or so ... completely out of control, with logic tossed out the | >window, and the "winner" will be the person that enflames the most readers. | >Kind of like what our press is doing today ... except the press does it for | >money, these amateurs do it for fun. | | <g> | | | >I countered most of the arguments brought forth on the theory that battery | >technology hit the ceiling, only to see yet another "yea, but" divergence | >that has little or nothing to do with the topic at hand. It has gotten to | >the point where I killfile people that "yea, but" conversations just to | >argue ... and I see that I'm nuking about 50% of the daily messages. | | My "I" button kicks out a lot more than that nowadays. <sigh2> | | | >I think I'll just head back to my shop and make some sawdust. I've decided I | >need to make a couple of scratch gauges and I'm going to attempt to make | >myself some cam clamps. Once I've gotten those out of the way I'm going to | >start on a scratch-built guitar (no kits, no reverse-engineered plans ... | >just starting with an idea and a book). I like the idea of using native | >woods in my projects, thought the thought of anything but a spruce top has | >people cringing. | | Acoustic gitfiddle? Yeah, they probably cringe for good reason. | But your first is your -practice- gitfiddle, so go for it! | | | >Let's see ... rock maple and cherry, no poly and no stain | >(well, I MIGHT tint the fretboard for contrast). If it doesn't play, I'll | >use it as a splitting maul! | | If you must, fume the cherry or use some potassium dichromate on it. | | | >Any progress on your bow saw? (really big grin!) | | No, not lately. Hold your breath and I'll let you know, Blue. | | | .-. | Better Living Through Denial | --- | http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Having read most of this thread, I am now convinced, more than ever, that I was right in not joining the cord-free movement when it first raised its ugly head.
I know I must be an ante-deluvial throwback but, just as I never leave home in the summer in my auto without my golf clubs in the trunk, I never leave home in my work truck without my generator for my corded tools.
The only batteries I have are clearly marked A, C, D, AA, or AAA.
-- PDQ
PDQ wrote:

was right in not joining the cord-free movement when it first raised its ugly head.

the summer in my auto without my golf clubs in the trunk, I never leave home in my work truck without my generator for my corded tools.

Got any AAAA's?
Dave

I think I have a couple. Want to stop by and pick them up?
Steve
Steve Peterson wrote:

What kinda beer have you got on hand? :)
dave

... snip

Isn't that two AA's side by side? :-)

Mark & Juanita wrote:

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ in case you haven't heard of AAAA's http://www.flashlightsunlimited.com/alkaline-aaaa.htm
dave

nope. it's one AA cut in half. lengthwise.
snipped-for-privacy@all.costs writes:

I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source? (It's a Stewart-Warner three dial battery set from the 30's).
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

try BatteriesPlus, if there's a store near you, and I assume they're online. One just opened near me (Huntsville, AL) and they have some slightly oddball stuff on the shelf, and can order really oddball stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they had an A in the store.
I've never seen a B.
-j
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:14:02 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I think I'd build a power supply first.
Scott Lurndal (in KOnUe.3239$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com) said:
| I've got an old radio that needs a B and two A batteries. IIRC | the B is about 45v. Anyone know of a source? (It's a | Stewart-Warner three dial battery set from the 30's).
I don't think A and B refer to battery types in this context - but rather to power _inputs_. IIRC the B supply was the filament supply and was somewhere around six and a half volts.
Any _really_ old-timers out there who can help with this one? -- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/solar.html

I'm not a *really* old timer, but did play with old radios while I was growing up. There really was a "B" battery, it's purpose was to power all but the filaments, the A battery powered the filaments. <http://antiqueradio.org/bsupply.htm is a nice write-up

There is a diagram attached to the inside of the lid (it's a gorgeous walnut case) that shows the "A" Battery (yes, I suspect you are correct in your assessment, A and B are just reference letters in this context) sized and shaped much like an automobile battery, and it specifies it as 6v. That would be the filament supply, I suppose.
The diagram also shows two 45v batteries (both labelled 'B', oddly). They're short squat square batteries with binding posts on the top surface.
FWIW it is Stewart-Warner model 303.
scott

Try googling B Battery. You will find a few hits on where you can learn more about this. The three poles on the b battery prevented it from being put in wrong. You may have to use a battey eliminator instead of the battery at this point. There are some 22.5 volt batteries to be had, though I don't recall their designation.
Try this location: http://www.acksupply.com/catalog/battery.pdf
It may get you what you need.
Michael