Why Being a SoCal WoodDorker Rules

Page 1 of 6
Greetings Late-Fall WoodDorking Mavens,
While the majority of you collectively freezeyourassesff, me and my fellow SoCal (and significant portions of southern Arizona and portions of Florida, I suppose), wooddorkers are able to enjoy OUTDOOR woodworking... at night! Bwahahahahahahaha! Most specifically:
http://www.klownhammer.org/cathouse
O'Deen
Except possibly some of us who live at 6700 feet above San Bernardino. As of this writing, it is 38 degF here. Bwaha... my ass.     mahalo,     frosty
Patrick Olguin wrote:

                I hate you.
Tom Watson wrote:

You live in Yankee Land. You hate everybody. Goes with the territory.
At least he has enough sense to stay the heck out of/away from California. From a Southerner!
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:41:12 -0500, Silvan

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:41:12 -0500, Silvan

WHOA! You just haven't been to the right parts of Yankee Land.
I hate no one.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

You must be one of those Yankee redneck types then. :)
In all seriousness, I've found people in the north in big cities are just mind bogglingly hateful toward each other all day long. It's real culture shock for a southern boy, even though nobody I know in the real south would even consider a Virginian a southern boy.
(We're sort of stuck in the middle. Hillbillies to you Yankees, Yankees to the people from North Carolina southward. We can't win.)
I've met a few nice people in the more remote parts of Pennsylvania, and even one really good guy in Quakertown, so no, I don't really think you're all like that. A lot of you are though. Just a culture thing. I think the rudeness is a function of population density over time. I think the South hasn't been urbanized long enough for our city people to get that nasty, but they're working on it.
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:17:59 -0500, Silvan

Damn right. Why be hateful to someone all day when you can just shoot them in the morning and be done with it. 8-)
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:38:12 +0000, Andy Dingley

here here !!!!! skeez
I'm sorry but to all of those misguided people the only people who can be called Yankees are from Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Connecticut, Massachussetts, and Rhode Island, those "New yawkas" are just wannabes:-)
Regards, Charles A true Yankee who actually lives in the coast redwood forests of California!

Do I detect a little *snobbishness* here? Keep having to remind people that I live in "New Yawk", but over 400 mi. from the "Rotten Apple"! There's a LOT more to NY than that collection of a**holes living in that sewer @ the mouth of the Hudson River. Rant/off. Nahmie

Aw, Norm, don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel...
And isn't it ironic that the real Yankees are Red Sox fans?
Bob
On 26 Nov 2003, Bob N spake unto rec.woodworking:

As if being a Red Sox fan wasn't punishment enough.
ouch, that hadda hurt...
TomL

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 18:59:09 -0800, "Charles A. Peavey"

Sorry guys, but to 95% of the world's population, anyone living anywhere between the 49th parallel or the Great Lakes and the Rio Grande is a Yankee. Period. Full stop.
I only hate the soccer moms in their 25' SUV/LandBoats who drive the kids to school with one hand on the cell phone and the other applying their eye makeup. Other than that, I love NJ !!
TomL

Been to Jersey once. Never again. Some time before that, I worked with a guy that was born and raised there. He described it as "the armpit of the US". I find no reason to say otherwise.

OK, 2 opinions. Guess we got a quorum now.
TomL

You'd like 'em even more from a bicycle. <G>
Barry

There's a lot to love about SoCal but it has plenty of short-comings. Yeah, the weather's hard to beat but perpetually sunny days come at the expense of hardwood forests, etc. I was just looking at the shop photos on your website and if your shop has a clear view of that falls in the photo then I hate you (figuratively speaking, of course).
btw: On the Gulph Mills page you have a local map. Are the places listed on the map (e.g. wheelwright, blacksmith) being preserved as historic sites? Pretty cool for you if that's the case.
Cheers, Mike