Urethane Finish Being Absorbed

I'm trying to waterproof the top edges of some wooden bathroom cabinet doors that get dripped on from the sink top. The top edges are beveled at 45 degree angle to the counter top so the wood is kind of rough rather than well finished. The Minwax polyurethane I'm using just sinks into the wood and is absorbed rather than drying to form the clear barrier I'm looking for.

Is there another product I should try-- or just keep adding additional coats of polyurethane?

Reply to
William Munny

Keep adding.

Reply to
salty

Reply to
Roemax

End grain of wood always absorbs more of whatever stain or finish that is being applied. I don't know the product specifically that you are using - I've used lots of wood finishes - but, it probably will take two or three MORE coats on the end grain than on the rest of the surface, and sealing the end grain is a good idea. Are you refinishing, putting in new cabinets, or just sealing up already finished cabinets? Be sure to let each coat cure well, not just dry, to avoid bubbling or peeling.

It's a good idea to seal the bottom edges of cabinet and entry doors, and to caulk the bottom of wallpaper, as condensation can run down and cause bulging/warping of wood or loosening of wallpaper paste.

Reply to
norminn

Depending on how much you have now, but may be too late but the first step is to burnish the ends. Take a smooth metal tool, like a shank of a screwdriver, and rub it across the end grain. It smoothes down the fibers and takes finish better. Keep adding until it is finally sealed. I usually thin the first coat and then use full strength on the rest.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski