Why all the TS and hardly any BS

Page 2 of 2

Not much more than getting a table saw to perform to its potential. All the little bits add up, from dialing in the trunnions to drawfiling the edges, which are likely on the rough side from the foundry.

A non-benchtop band saw is the perfect complement, fastest way to cut tenons with the least setup.

Absolutely! I have one. <G>
Right now, I'm routing my mortises. A good quality free-standing mortiser would be the cat's ass.

well enough, and also the BS left a much rougher surface than I cared for.
What am I missing? I ended up buying a tenoning jig for the TS, but have only used it once. It was much cleaner than the BS, though.
Harvey

Low tension, blade wear, will make it pull off the line. A blade heavily used for curves will lead. Roughness isn't so much a problem for hidden tenons and can improve glue strength.
There's a free one in the NH Craigs list posted today: http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/446888308.html

<<There's a free one in the NH Craigs list posted today: http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/446888308.html
Not any more. (Deleted by poster.)

_________________________________

Check out
www.sawmillcreek.com www.woodnet.net ( I think that's right, it's hosted by one of the magazines)
They have good classifieds, although they are nationwide and a BandSaw isn't something you can ship.
Of course, you can check ebay as well. I see a lot of used BS on there.
I know with patience, you will find a good used one.. however, I have to ask how long you are willing to wait? Unless money is really tight, is it worth waiting 2+ years to save maybe $200 on a BS?
RayV wrote:

That's funny! Search craigslist for TS and you're gonna get a lot more than table saws!
--
Russ

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by
"RayV" wrote

No mention of the model, except it is a "large Delta, floor standing":
http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/448824154.html
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07