Who Manufactures WHAT?

Page 2 of 3

Greg G. wrote:

Milwaukee was recently sold by Atlas Copco to another holding company, but I forgot who.
At the time I found out, I wasn't impressed.
Lew

with factories in the US, although they do not make it clear exactly which tools are produced in the US and Mexico. Skil, Dremel and Roto-Zip are now Bosch North American products, also Vermont American.
ATP* said:

That list is scary... And most of which are _not_ known for high quality tools... Except for the old Skil 77.
I laugh my ass off every time I see the current Dremel commercial that shows a guy planing a door with this little toy planer attachment. A bunch of little round divots down the edge of the door - Ugghh...
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

My guess is the only reason S-B Tool (Bosch) bought Skil was to get their hands on the 77.
It took what, 5 years, for Bosch to redesign it?
Lew
Greg G. wrote:

I wondered if I was the only one that saw this?? What a joke, I can't imagine the executives of Dremel approving this ad the advertisers came up with. The exec. must never have planed a door, because if they had they would have laughed the advertisering agency right out of the meeting.
What a bunch of PIN HEADS!
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

For the most part, execs who lead the way in manufacturing, or selling, tools do not use tools themselves. It's onward to the golf course, let's play volleyball, or something similar. The companies where the execs do use tools, or take a major part in their design and manufacture, show up on a different screen, which means companies like Veritas and Lie-Nielsen really shine.

Or the oen where they're sanding a new piece of furniture with it? (I wonder of they want us to think the whole piece was built using their tool?)
I've owned and used a Dremel tool for over 30 years now, but if I had never seen one except for in the current commercials, I'd never buy it. Any ad that makes the users look like idiots makes me stay away. (Dremel, and XM radio are two.). -- Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@" Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.
Doug Warner said:

I've not seen that one, but I try not to watch too many commercials...

I own a Dremel as well. I've used it to port heads and manifolds, cut bolts and nails flush with a surface, polish and buff small items, carve wood - but I NEVER even considered planing a door or sanding furniture with it. Yep, marketing geniuses at work... :-\
FWIW,
Greg G.
Doug Warner wrote:

I also have had a Dremel for at least 30 years.
It gets/got limited use.
Now that I've had a chance to play with the Fein detail sander along with some of it's attachments, the Dremel will get even less use.
YMMV
Lew
: evodawg said:
:>Wondering if anything is made in the US anymore? :> :>Porter Cable :> :>Milwaukee :> :>Bosch :> :>Delta = Black and Decker :> :>Dewalt :> :>Thanks, :>Rich
: Delta, Dewalt, Porter-Cable, DeVilbiss, Oldham and FLEX are ALL now : owned by Black and Decker. <sigh>
What about Sioux?
    -- Andy Barss

Part of Snap-On, which still Appears to be Snap-On.
:> :> What about Sioux?
: Part of Snap-On, which still Appears to be Snap-On.
Didn't Sioux and Milaukee used to produce twin tools? If so, what does the recent set of changes do to this?
    - Andy Barss

Not sure what you mean by 'twin'.
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 05:32:34 GMT, Lobby Dosser

I think Andy is referring to the fact that many Sioux and Milwaukee tools were nearly identical. I know that the Sioux close-quarter drill is a dead-on mirror image of the Milwaukee close-quarter drill. Don't know if one or the other had better quality or not.

That's kinda what I thought he meant. The same drill came to mind, but I wasn't sure Milwaukee made one. One of those tools you associate with one manufacturer. Close-quarter drill - Sioux; Reciprocating saw - Milwaukee; Router - Porter Cable; Cabinet saw - Delta; Circular saw - Skil; ...
Milwaukee is owned by TTI, IMS. Ryobi's parent company. It was owned by AEG.

evodawg wrote:

General isn't made in the US, but it is made in your neighbor to the north...
Chris
Chris Friesen said:

Try finding a dealer who stocks them... A month ago, I called more than 20 dealers in my area. Not ONE stocked a General 650 - but they had _plenty_ of Delta. Jet ran a distant second.
Perhaps it's different elsewhere, but if I can't find one in a city of 6 million, then where? (Stocking dealers, not mail order.)
Greg G.

My local (Portland, OR) Woodcraft has started stocking them.
Might want to take a look at the General distributor page:
http://www.general.ca/pagetitre/ang/dist_us.html
Lobby Dosser said:

We have a local distributor - they just don't stock anything that competes with Unisaurs. They _claim_ they can't sell them.
Greg G.