Whitening Red Oak - Help

We are renovating our home and put in some nice oak hardwood flooring. The flooring is quite white (I understand that 'red oak' can often be quite white) with a neutral finish (no noticeable stain tint). We decided to go with Oak doors and trim to match. The trim I used to test my finishing (a 'neutral' oak stain/sealer) matched fine. When I started finishing the doors, however, I noticed that the doors where much more red in color than the trim and floors. With the stain applied, it ended up more golden oak look that I had anticipated, and thus didn't match the floors as anticipated. I do not claim to be a finishing pro, and am looking for a way to 'whiten' red oak. I have actually tried some household bleach, which seems to somewhat do the trick. (sounds crazy, I know!) The local paint stores I have talked to didn't seem to know too much about the issue.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Edgar ( snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net) (remove .nospam)
Believe www.homesteadfinishing.com has an article on "bleaching". A two part bleach will possibly do what you're after as might a swimming pool bleach (name escapes at the moment). Test on scraps!
On 17 Aug 2004 20:52:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net (Edgar) wrote:

I bought a bleach at HD that whitens oak. It might be a little pricy for a whold floor though.
snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net (Edgar) wrote in message

There are wood bleaches and it is surprising the paint stores didn't carry them. Generally they come in two varieties, oxalic acid and a two part bleach, made by combining sodium hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide solutions right befor use.
If the household bleach does the job I suggest sticking with it.
--

FF

Swimming pool bleach is suggested also as it's stronger than household but same type of stuff. I tried A&B but it was almost at end of shelf life and worked marginally.
On 18 Aug 2004 11:31:40 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Fred the Red Shirt) wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@sasktel.net (Edgar) wrote in message (remove .nospam) Hello, It sounds to me like you have a water based finish on the floors and are using oil on the other. Is this right? Jana
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Jana) wrote in

My thought as well. Water base finish without an oil sealer will 'wash-out' over the years. I don't think its attractive and have reverted to using an oil sealer before applying water finish.