red oak alternative

I have been working with red oak for furniture projects for years. Although I enjoy working with red oak I would like a change of pace. I build both large and small furniture projects,one of my next will be a bedroom set for my daughter.

Reply to
K Anthony

Cherry, hard maple, and walnut are common choices for furniture. Or, for a rustic look, hard pine.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Reply to
Wilson

So go to a good wood supplier and take a look at another 20 or 30 varieties they have in stock and pick one. Get long wide boards for the big projects, narrow short ones for the small projects.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Me too. I like to change to Walnut for a change. A bit softer than Oak, very easy to work with, and the beauty really comes out with a clear finish.

Reply to
Leon

Pipecleaners

Reply to
Toller

I enjoy working with walnut even though it is quite a bit more expensive than oak. Beautiful grain and color. It also machines very well.

I also use a fair amount of ash, sometimes as an alternate to oak. The grain often presents a similarity to oak; and darker stains can produce a piece that is hard to distinguish from oak. Around here (Souther KS) it is about $1 a board foot cheaper. It machines similar to oak, maybe a little softer. It is a good idea to wipe an ash project with spirts or a pre-stain conditioner before staining. Some areas of open, smooth grain can blotch. Otherwise good stuff.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

White Oak? :~)

I use what ever wood the project calls for. Currently I have been working with walnut. It machines well, watch for tearout when planing. Finishes very nice.

Dave

Teamcasa

What do you use before the finish to make it not so porous? I think that's what I'm meaning to say.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Depending of the project, and the wood. Generally soft or porous woods get a shellac seal coat unless the need staining. Sometimes I'll use a gel stain as well.

Dave

Teamcasa

Thanks Dave. Fingers worked before brain did and sent too quick. I meant to ask about what you do to prep the walnut your working with. I just did a little table at the end of my hall. It looks ok, and it matches the living room furniture, to an extent. The walnut looks to be too grainy?? I'll try and get a close up picture posted over to ABPW and maybe you can better understand what I'm trying to say. Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Taylor