While I was shaving this morning . . .

That's pretty good. I use the Gillette disposables (Good News III ?) and they last 3-4 months shaving each day. If I don't shave for a couple of days over a weekend, it gets a bit of a brutal and painful mission, but one should be frugal!

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Have you noticed that a carbide tipped blade is harder than wood and it also dulls? The hardness is enormous at the back of the blade but at the cutting edge you can make it flex by simply rubbing you thumb nail against it. The micro thin edge is very thin and simply wears away. When I sharpen my chisels I get a wire edge that is more flexible than aluminum foil.

Reply to
Leon

I too had Gillette as a client. In order to get into the sharpening area, I had to sign a secrecy agreement. Sorry.

Reply to
Dave W

Yes, and I find that confusing as well. Although wood can have a lot more inclusions of hard minerals than beard (or so I would guess). I have a piece of desert ironwood that works as sandpaper.

That's the part that I don't understand. Why does it wear away. The hair should wear before the steel.

The wire edge is mostly separate from the blade. That it is more flexible than a hair (if it is) does not explain why a hair will take a chunk out of the steel.

Ken Muldrew

then why does water erode granite cliffs?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

Unfortunately it's true. One of the reasons I have had a beard for 20 years is that shaving makes me break out in a horrid rash. By only doing it a couple times a week I get by.

I do a couple patches on my

Think of all the money you are saving... Now turn that saved money into tools.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I think it's more that the edge is _brittle_. Sure, glass is harder than wood, but you can break bits off of the edge of a sheet of glass with a piece of wood. On a microscopic level, I imagine this is what is happening to our nice sharp edges when we touch wood (or whiskers) to them.

Lacking an electron microsocope, I can't personally test this theory.

I think it's chipping away, not wearing away.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I stopped growing hair for the same reason. Eight bucks every three weeks or so now go for more important things. Like tools.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Also bending, flowing, and generally deforming. Think of the point pressure you achieve when pushing a very sharp blade against a round object.

While googling around for sharpening info, I saw one grade of material that used talc as the abrasive. Mighty slow cutting, one would think.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Actually, me too. Those little patches I shave stay broken out. Maybe because I'm so cheap I'm using a dull ass blade, whaddaya think? :)

Or something. My current black hole for money is musical instruments and related pari... pare... pariphen... um... stuff.

I actually feel like I have just about enough tools.

(At least until I can come up with the money to build a bigger shop. ;)

Reply to
Silvan

Three weeks hell. Twelve bucks every six to nine months. :)

I got sick of that though, and now I'm Mr. Buzz. $12 once, then free haircuts for years. Looks terrible, but who cares?

Reply to
Silvan

or until you get into _making_ musical instruments....

Reply to
bridger

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:30:17 -0400, Silvan calmly ranted:

Prollyso, Sylvie. (Welcome back, BTW)

I found that washing my face with soap and water 15 minutes before (or using alcohol on a washrag just before) using the electric shaver worked well to keep the rash down. hand lotion on the shaved area helps, too. I think my shaver gets(wood and other) dust in it if I forget to clean up first.

Paraphernalia. DAMHIKT

Lying bastid.

Oh, OK. Never mind my last comment.

-- Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name. ------------------------------------------------------

Lawyer-free Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

A corollary to this whole thread: Why do razor blade companies compete against themselves with multiple kinds of razors? I can understand having different levels of quality (Sensor, Sensor XL, etc), or having different uses (for coarse hair, for sensitive skin, etc), but most razor companies simply make multiple kinds of razors with little explanation as to any kind of differences in them. Wouldn't it make more sense to promote one kind of razor as better than the competitor's brands?

Reply to
Xane T.

Well, like toothbrushes, sugar, salt, and a number of other consumer goods, there aren't any real differences between one brand and another. They have to differentiate their product _somehow_, so they do it by marketing surveys, test groups, and that sort of thing. In a world where there are no real differences, having a larger number of choices be from your company is one way to increase market share.

It's all marketing bullshit, nothing more. They send you a "sample" for free, only their blades fit that handle, and for reasons they understand but don't make any sense, men won't throw away a perfectly good handle - so we'll keep buying blades from 'em.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Not to mention that if they predominate on the shelves, they'll likely get the majority of the sales. Companies that have big selling power, can also ask for and get "slotting fees"- money to simply give a particular product producer the "best" spot on the shelf. Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Shave? SHAVE??! I jes pound 'em in and bite em off!

Reply to
Gary DeWitt

Thanks... You ever finish that whateveryouwereworkingon?

Electric shaver? O_o

I think I might can figure out how you know. I never could get close enough for the dictionary to figure out what the hell I was trying to say. (Actually a bit unusual for someone as big of a word dork as I am.) When I looked it up:

  1. (Law) Something reserved to a wife, over and above her dower, being chiefly apparel and ornaments suited to her degree.

Makes me wonder...

Either I gotta quit with the tools or I gotta go on a good diet. It's getting hard to squeeze my fat ass into my little tiny shop since I got that contractor's saw.

Reply to
Silvan

I'd love to, but there's a looooooooot of learning curve to tackle. Like bending wood for one thing. I don't do so good on curvy things.

Reply to
Silvan

curves are the fun part.

and think of all the tools you can get.....

Reply to
bridger