While I was shaving this morning . . .

Page 2 of 3
Leon wrote:

they can find out if there products are lasting too long and develop ways to shorten their life. Only selling one set of replacement blades a year isn't profitable business.
It's like the old story where the happy customer wrote the company bragging that the great toaster he bought from them lasted 40 years. The company bought the toaster from him for a lot more than he paid for it. They wanted to ensure that that mistake never happened again... :)
Leon wrote:

Not sure why covering a sharp edge with a (durable) powder would be a good thing.
BugBear

The blade stays sharper longer... at least 175 shaves with one blade.

I recall this topic coming up on rec.knives and they use a technique called vapour honing. Can't remember much about it but I imagine it is still in the archives.
Fraser
I think they must use a fairly soft metal that can take an extremely sharp edge, because the blades arent' meant to last long or be re-used. Unlike the OP, I have to shave every day, and I use the same blade no more than three or four times, because my beard is pretty tough (not a boast, in fact it's a real pain), and the quality of the shave declines markedly after that.     Remember how much shots hurt when you were a kid? It was partly because you were a kid, of course, but mainly because the needles were re-used, and harder, and couldn't be as sharp or as thin as the disposable ones they use today. Same idea applies to razor blades.

They stay sharp for a month because you're not cutting wood with them.

Either you are getting a lot better blades than I can or my beard is awfully tough. I only have to shave my neck (full beard) and only do it 2-3 times a week. Two shaves is about the limit on any of the disposable razors, sometimes 3 on the replaceable cartridges.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tim Douglass wrote:

You must just have sensitive widdle skin. :) I do a couple patches on my cheeks and my neck once a week, and those cartridge deals last... Well, I have no idea how long they last, but I bought a 10 pack of them in the '90s sometime, and I'm not out of them yet.
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:42:21 -0400, Silvan

That's pretty good. I use the Gillette disposables (Good News III ?) and they last 3-4 months shaving each day. If I don't shave for a couple of days over a weekend, it gets a bit of a brutal and painful mission, but one should be frugal!
Barry Lennox
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:42:21 -0400, Silvan

Unfortunately it's true. One of the reasons I have had a beard for 20 years is that shaving makes me break out in a horrid rash. By only doing it a couple times a week I get by.
I do a couple patches on my

Think of all the money you are saving... Now turn that saved money into tools.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

I stopped growing hair for the same reason. Eight bucks every three weeks or so now go for more important things. Like tools.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Three weeks hell. Twelve bucks every six to nine months. :)
I got sick of that though, and now I'm Mr. Buzz. $12 once, then free haircuts for years. Looks terrible, but who cares?
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:31:16 -0400, Silvan

If I didn't stand up in front of a bunch of people regularly I, too, would go for the quick and dirty buzz. I hate getting haircuts.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:43:34 -0700, Tim Douglass

I just have my wife do it. I had one or two bad ones as she was learning how, but now she does a pretty good job doing a standard business-type haircut.

Tim Douglass wrote:

Actually, me too. Those little patches I shave stay broken out. Maybe because I'm so cheap I'm using a dull ass blade, whaddaya think? :)

Or something. My current black hole for money is musical instruments and related pari... pare... pariphen... um... stuff.
I actually feel like I have just about enough tools.
(At least until I can come up with the money to build a bigger shop. ;)
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:30:17 -0400, Silvan

or until you get into _making_ musical instruments....
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

I'd love to, but there's a looooooooot of learning curve to tackle. Like bending wood for one thing. I don't do so good on curvy things.
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:16:56 -0400, Silvan

curves are the fun part.
and think of all the tools you can get.....
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:30:17 -0400, Silvan

Prollyso, Sylvie. (Welcome back, BTW)
I found that washing my face with soap and water 15 minutes before (or using alcohol on a washrag just before) using the electric shaver worked well to keep the rash down. hand lotion on the shaved area helps, too. I think my shaver gets(wood and other) dust in it if I forget to clean up first.

Paraphernalia. DAMHIKT
Lying bastid.

Oh, OK. Never mind my last comment.
-- Like they say, 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name. ------------------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Lawyer-free Website Development
Larry Jaques wrote:

Thanks... You ever finish that whateveryouwereworkingon?

Electric shaver? O_o

I think I might can figure out how you know. I never could get close enough for the dictionary to figure out what the hell I was trying to say. (Actually a bit unusual for someone as big of a word dork as I am.) When I looked it up:
1. (Law) Something reserved to a wife, over and above her dower, being chiefly apparel and ornaments suited to her degree.
Makes me wonder...

Either I gotta quit with the tools or I gotta go on a good diet. It's getting hard to squeeze my fat ass into my little tiny shop since I got that contractor's saw.