While I was shaving this morning . . .

Page 1 of 3
and I nicked myself, again, a question of the obvious struck me. How do they sharpen razor blades? The thingies stay sharp for a month or more. [I do not shave each day.] Those thingies must be made and sharpened in the millions every shift. Are there any clues in their secret methods which would be helpful to woodworkers? I am just guessing now, but I think the makers use a procedure with a narrow steel alloy ribbon about a mile or more long, then sharpen one edge of that ribbon on one or both sides, then blank out the individual blades. Assembly would then be a piece of cake. How do they sharpen that edge?
Hoyt W.
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:20:31 -0500, Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Don't know how shaving razors are sharpened, but according to Leonard Lee you can sharpen your plane irons and chisels to an even better edge. There is a difference in angles and definitely a different shaving technique.
-Doug
--
"It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among
[my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between
Doug Winterburn wrote:

if they were really tough, they'd use disk sanders..

Shave? SHAVE??! I jes pound 'em in and bite em off!
On 21 Oct 2004 15:53:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gary DeWitt) wrote:

Ah... "I can tell you are a logger, and not just a common bum..."
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:09:19 -0700, Doug Winterburn

http://www.antrak.org.tr/~ta2cip/razors.html
I must say that the little plastic Bic razor is much easier to manipulate around my chin than an 18" long, 2" wide, 4 pound slick...
Or an axe.
http://www.razoredgesystems.com/images/splash/shavin_image.gif
============================================================= Like peace and quiet? Buy a phoneless cord. http://www/diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online =============================================================

You can also sharpen disposable razor blades to an even better edge just by stropping them on leather treated with a green crayon (chromium oxide).
I still don't understand how a steel razor blade dulls so quickly cutting hair. The difference in hardness is enormous and yet somehow the razor's edge deteriorates.

Have you noticed that a carbide tipped blade is harder than wood and it also dulls? The hardness is enormous at the back of the blade but at the cutting edge you can make it flex by simply rubbing you thumb nail against it. The micro thin edge is very thin and simply wears away. When I sharpen my chisels I get a wire edge that is more flexible than aluminum foil.

(remove all letters after y in the alphabet)

I think it's more that the edge is _brittle_. Sure, glass is harder than wood, but you can break bits off of the edge of a sheet of glass with a piece of wood. On a microscopic level, I imagine this is what is happening to our nice sharp edges when we touch wood (or whiskers) to them.
Lacking an electron microsocope, I can't personally test this theory.

I think it's chipping away, not wearing away.
Dave Hinz
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:35:44 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

Also bending, flowing, and generally deforming. Think of the point pressure you achieve when pushing a very sharp blade against a round object.
While googling around for sharpening info, I saw one grade of material that used talc as the abrasive. Mighty slow cutting, one would think.

It's a secret. Honest. Gillette in Boston was a customer of mine. It is the only company where I could not get into the plant. They never discussed things like that at all. Only think I know is that the material is in a band and then cut.
They did have a group of employees that came to work everyday and shaved on company time. They evaluated new razors and did durability tests on existing ones.
Hi Edwin, It's not just secrets. On a trivia show one time they mentioned that there were more patents issued/pending on shaving gear than any other household item. Cheers, JG
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I too had Gillette as a client. In order to get into the sharpening area, I had to sign a secrecy agreement. Sorry.
wrote in message

the
on

_Really_ _Big_ pyramids
Tue, Oct 19, 2004, 12:43am (EDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (AndyDingley) claims: _Really_ _Big_ pyramids
Oh, that's just plain silly.
Obviousiy, they use a bunch of little pyramids.
JOAT Flush the Johns. - seen on a bumper sticker
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:43:07 +0100, Andy Dingley

*This* is why I read the wreck these days. There was about a 20 second lapse between comprehension and grin...
Good one, sir!

And why do they not use the same materials after the product has been on the market for a year or so. 4 or 5 years ago I got a sample razor with 2 refills IIRC. It was a double blade coated with near microscopic diamonds. No kidding, I used the first razor for 1 year, but not shaving every day, before changing to one of the refills. The refills lasted quite long also. When I bought replacements, I was less than impressed. 1 month was about it.