Which WWII?

I have a shiny new Crapsman contractor's saw with what I guess is a 1.5 HP motor. I've spent a great deal of time tweaking it, and it's lined up beautifully.
I can't afford one yet, but it's time to start thinking about a WWII. I'm lazy, so this will be the blade I leave on the saw 99% of the time. It's hard to say whether I do more ripping or crosscutting. I do a lot of both, and am looking for the best compromise between smooth crosscuts and fast-as-possible glue line rips.
I've decided on a full sized kerf, but I'm debating teeth. My regular user blade has been a 50T Freud TK960, which I've been happy with for some time. I just put that blade on my new saw, after having been using the new saw with its stock 24T blade for awhile, and I realized that ripping with a 50T blade pretty much sucks.
Forrest's site says "* Use 30T version if ripping mostly 2" - 3" Thick hardwoods."
Well, I won't be. The local lumber yard only stocks 4/4, so that's what I use. I might have some reason to get something thicker some day, but it's not going to be a standard practice. I expect to cut mostly 4/4, and the occasional tuba stock. OTOH, I have a comparatively wimpy motor.
So whaddaya think? 40T or 30T?
"Silvan" wrote in message

40T WWII does all I need it to do, and is all I use.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04

If money is tight then spend it on something more useful. I'm on my second WWII (first one was a real dud). It's a nice blade, but not significantly better than a $40 Freud combination blade. You'd be better served spending the difference on lumber and building something.
--
Scott Post snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost /

Then you've picked the right blade. Almost.

IMO you're probably better off with the thin-kerf version, given the saw you have. You don't exactly have a surplus of horsepower. Not a shortage either, mind you, but it's light enough that the thin-kerf blade, with a stabilizer, will probably give you better performance.

40. I cut mostly 4/4, but some 6/4 and 8/4, and a 40T WWII works just fine for me. If the majority of what I worked with was 8/4 then I'd go with 30T, but for occasional cuts in heavy stock the 40T is fine.

40T for sure. The WWII is a great blade. That said, there are other very good blades at about the same or lower price.
I got a deal at the Springfield show. Ridge Carbide Tool had a special on their 40T combo and 8" dado blade. I got both for about $220. The dado is impressive with flat bottom cuts. The TS2000 cut everything I have thrown at it including some thick oak. Only time I take it out now is for plywood. The 80 tooth Freud does a better job on plywood.
As for the original Delta blade that came with the saw, I use it for rough cutting only. Compared to the Ridge or a WWII, it sucks. For ripping down some framing lumber, it is OK. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Get the 40t unless you are going to be doing a LOT of ripping of THICK stuff
John
On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:00:03 -0500, Silvan

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:00:03 -0500, Silvan

40T for all around work.
Barry