Where to turn from Amazon

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

over someone whining about Amazon. I've no need to heal anything except my choice of who to respond to. Cheers.
dave
David wrote:

This is what you got? "I've no need to heal anything except my choice of who to respond to." Prolly should have kept that one to yourself.
I didn't hear any whining about Amazon at all in the original post. The OP voiced a complaint and asked for alternatives. It's fashionable these days to call any complaint a whine, but most of the time that's just name-calling.
So now you've called the OP both childish and a whiner. I think if I were him, I'd call you a dick.
David wrote:

I didn't know children had jobs and money to spend.

Maybe Amazon won't care because I've spent less than $1,000 there in two years, and maybe HD doesn't care that I've spent over $15,000 at Lowes instead of their store this past year. But I care about where my money goes and won't do business with a company that puts a foul-mouthed jerk in my face when I am going there to spend my money. If I want to get berated by people I go to newsgroups where I can get it for free.
RayV wrote:

dave
RayV wrote:

salute? :) (and maybe boycott Amazon? Not on your life!)
Dave

I usually by from Coastal Tool, but thanks for a good reason to buy from Amazon now.

patronize companies that violate my personal ethics or that support people or organizations I don't care for.
I know that it may cost me a little more money but its my choice and a choice freely made. A choice given to me by others that sacrificed a great deal so to provide me with this opportunity. A woodworking forum is not the place for me to express which companies/people/organizations I won't shop with - (other than Harbor Fright).
As for finding tools online, I frequently use Amazon to find the tool and price, then contact the store/vendor directly for the purchase. Usually at a better price.
The approved list is short: Lee Valley, Costal Tool, Woodworkers Supply, Rockler and Woodcraft. There are many others but they are more specialized.
I don't like Bill Maher or George Carlin either. After all they cater to the simplest of minds, ones easily amused.
Dave
I have only seen BM a few times and thought he was funny and his politics were similar to mine.I can understand someone not liking his humor or politics, but I cant understand why someone would boycott Amazon which I also personally like. Amazon promotes books and music from people that I like and dislike who cares.If they promote our war president who I disagree with and think he is not very Presidential who
cares. The fact that Amazon Fishbowl with Bill Maher,is by presented by
UPS and Cingular, should I boycott my Cell carrier and UPS my life blood in business.Of course not. Amazon is a business making a buck from this stuff in a country of free speech. I am curious to any one that boycotts Amazon because of BM politics, do you boycott things like
clothing made with child labor, tools from countries that allow child prostitution, oil from countries that you may disagree with, etc,etc. Happy woodwoking.
RayV wrote:

Try Tools Plus, in Connecticut- pretty good prices, ,like Coastal Tools and good people http://www.tools-plus.com
"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism" Thomas Jefferson

Actually, that quote is attributed to Howard Zinn.
todd
RayV wrote:

Politics aside, I find that there are precious few places that aren't just front ends for Amazon. There used to be many sources of tools online, but now you go to actually buy something and voila! you are once again at Amazon. We're talkin' Wally World here for stomping down the small vendor and removing competition. Sorta like Starbuck's in some towns.
Long Live Lee Valley!