Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

Page 5 of 6

Please tell me you only know this because somebody told you?
Robatoy wrote:

Fortunately, I don't personally know it to be true...
Upscale wrote:

The ball end is easier to insert and also allows driving with the shank at an angle. There is a "waist" above the ball, so quality of the tool is especially important.
A couple of decades back I visited John Bondhus up in St Cloud, Minnesota and he gifted me with a set of his screwdriver-handled ball drivers and told me (with a smile) that they'd never break - and they not only haven't broken, they haven't worn enough to detect. When I decided to get the T-handled wrenches, I bought his. As far as I can tell, these are the same high quality.

Treat yourself to a set of the Bondhus ball end drivers. If you can manage to break one, you can always grind the end square - but I suspect that won't happen. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

I've never had a problem tightening with a quality ball end, either. It's amazing how "little" contact there is between a standard hex Allen wrench and the screw's socket. In most cases, I don't think the standard end is an advantage.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

If the recess is deep enough to admit the entire ball, it's difficult for it to cam out as well.
--John
-MIKE- wrote:

I just took a look at www.bondhus.com to get myself up to date - and learned that they come with an unconditional lifetime guarantee.
I also learned that John Bondhus died in 2006 - and I mourn the passing of one of the very finest mentors/coaches/teachers to ever touch my life. When John spoke, you could even /hear/ that "Quality" was spelled with a capital "Q"...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Morris, you find some of the most obscure, yet totally useful links. Never heard of Bondhus, now I will give their products a go. I sure hope that whosoever has taken his place does it with the same standards he had. That CNC of mine is peppered with Allen head screws, so to invest in a fresh batch of ball-ends would...ermm...almost be fun?
Robatoy wrote:

I think you'll be (at least) satisfied. I'd never heard of Bondhus, either, until someone the Minnesota Department of Economic Development told me to give John a call for advice on getting a fledgling business off the ground. From then on, the name jumped out at me from just about every tool catalog I read. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I have been known to chase a Snap-Off truck to its next stop. Now one stops here. He's a grinning bastard.
"Robatoy" wrote
I have been known to chase a Snap-Off truck to its next stop. Now one stops here. He's a grinning bastard. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robatoy, a Snap On Stalker? .........., it makes sense.

heheheh... I just love the way that strong cold chrome wrench slides in my hands....wait...wRench??? I meant WENCH!...Have I been doing this all wrong all these years?? WENCH, dammit...not WRENCH...
"Robatoy" wrote
Morris, you find some of the most obscure, yet totally useful links. Never heard of Bondhus, now I will give their products a go. I sure hope that whosoever has taken his place does it with the same standards he had. That CNC of mine is peppered with Allen head screws, so to invest in a fresh batch of ball-ends would...ermm...almost be fun? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was almost gonna kid you about this.
But............., a quality machine like that REQUIRES quality tools to take care of it. To do less would risk the ire of the Tool Gods.
You have been warned.

I agree. No point in touching a precision instrument with anything less than a quality tool. *smirk*
I mean... would you bow a Guarneri cello with anything less than a bow made from the tail of a virgin Arabian mare? . . . . I thought not.
Morris Dovey wrote:

I hear that!
For non-critical, common-sense uses, there are rumors of an "FAA-Approved Hardware and Bulb Department" at Home Depot and Acme Auto.

Cleaning (verb): (a) Removing the dust from something, such as your short term memory. (b) Hiding things from yourself. (c) The act of moving things in order to destroy one's short to medium term memories of item location.
See also: Organization
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Excellent.
--

-MIKE-

I still have the GBoC. Haven't quite worked up to Dad's GBoC (Golden Barrel of Crap). His started during the depression when materials were a lot more expensive that labor.
I understand the rational of tossing GBoC, but its such an instilled habit that I can't break it.
On the other hand, I did finally break one of Dads other habits: straightening and re-using bent nails. Took a while, though.
--
Frank Stutzman

"Frank Stutzman" wrote:

Can tell you stories about Bernie and the electrical conduit he would clean, straighten then reuse.
He also carried a tattoo on his left arm.
Truly an amazing guy.
Lew
"Frank Stutzman" wrote

BTDT ... you might want to teach your next generation, if you have one, that skill/trick, it looks like they may need it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

When I was a kid and we were into building "Forts" I remember gazing at the nail bins full of virgin 16d commons with something approaching lust.
We only had benders for our use.
I think that's why it pissed me off so much in later years when I would run the magnetic broom over the jobsite and find POUNDS of wasted nails from the framing crews.
Regards,