where to find mountain mahogany??

long ago I carved some mountain mahogany and loved it, but can't find it for sale. any ideas? it turns out there are several species with that name...the one I carved in the past was from Idaho. maybe the others are just as good? rich
--
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net
atv rider polaris 500

i guess i'm going to have to spend some vacation time in idaho, picking up fallen trees. rich
res055a5 wrote:

you can find it in south west Idaho in the Owahyees, it's fairly common, but they don't grow very big, most of the Owahyees are BLM land so it's permits costs $7 per coard. also you can find Desert, or scrub Mahogany thoughout the southern Idaho desert, but it's even smaller, but it's VERY hard, almost to the point of being unworkable, but it's very attrative. my wifes Grandpa made a grandfather clock out of some, it's nice.
I'm guessing it's this tree ??? which does not appear to produce much in the way of wood...
http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/mountain_mahogany.htm
res055a5 wrote:

i found the last piece i carved on the Salmon River in Idaho. rich
Have you had any luck finding this wood? I've been watching with fascination.

nope, been searching hard on the internet without success. i think i'll have to spend some vacation time looking for it myself. if so, then it will be next summer before i can go over to idaho and look for it. a place in oregon sells one form of mountain mahogany, but i don't think it is the same species. i've emailed them without success. rich

res055a5 wrote:

hey if you do, drop me a line, I have been trying, with out much success, to talk from friends into going out and looking for some. I'm just out side of Boise
Dave wrote:

I can't imagine anyone finding mountain mahogany (the kind that grows in Idaho) any place except in the field. It is essentially a bush and certainly no one would cut it for commercial use. Of course it isn't mahogany and the mountains can just be hills. The scientific names is Cercocarpus ledifolius.