Where to buy magnets

I need a couple of longish magnets to align the blades on my jointer. Where does one buy magnets this size? Does Home Depot have them?

I'd prefer not to buy the 40 dollar gizmo from Rockler, just plain magnets.

Thanks,

S.

Reply to
samson

Just built a jig like that last week. You can find ceramic magnets at Lowe's, package of two for ~$2.25. Pretty darn strong, certainly more than enough power to lift a knife. They're 1" long.

Alternatively, try Radio Shack, although every store in my area (NC) seems to be out. Sears has ceramic magnets listed on their web site ("Skil" magnets), but I wasn't able to find them in the store.

Bas.

Reply to
Bas

When I'm looking for cheap magnets, I think Harbor Freight.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:6LudnSEtPad2DUjanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

More generally: When I'm looking for cheap , I think Harbor Freight.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You don't have to buy long magnets, you can attach the magnet to a piece of steel, say a ruler from a combo square. I get magnets on eBay. You can get some rare earth magnets for pretty damn cheap.

RicodJour

Find an old dead hard drive and take it apart. They have NIB magnets that will give you a blister if they pinch your skin. If you have the old 5" full height drives, some have magnets that will pin YOU to the fridge.

Reply to
none of the above

I think what he wants to do is lay the long magnet on the outfeed table so it also contacts the blades. This would make the blade level with the outfeed table.

Not a bad idea. I wonder if you would have to first flatten the magnets.

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

CB antenna bases are good sources of free strong magnets. So are old loudspeakers or microwave magnetrons -- do be careful not to touch the big oil filled capacitor, a full charge can be enough to make flesh explode.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Mon, Mar 10, 2008, 8:13pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) More generally: doth sayeth: When I'm looking for cheap , I think Harbor Freight.

All depends on what you mean by cheap. I've bought welding magnets at HF for $2 each, on sale, regular price $4-5 each. And have seen the exact same magnet for sale at a welding supply company, same size, same color, same packaging even, priced at $18 each. You look close at small tools, up to an including bench saws, etc., and you'll see the same stuff HF is selling, at lower prices at HF. When I bought my wood lathes at HF, I paid $127. And saw the same lathe, different color, selling for up to $300. I have NO problems shopping at HF. But if all I wanted was magnets, there's plenty of places closer than HF I could buy 'em - Ace, Wally World, etc.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
Reply to
J T

I have bought from K&J Magnets several time and have had great luck with them. They do have a website and you can GOOGLE for it. Their prices are great and the selection is awesome. Good luck, Dennis

Reply to
TwoGuns

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:45:54 -0600, samson wrote (in article ):

got some of their 'big' ones when they were on sale, still afraid to try and pull them off my filing cabinet 8^)

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

samson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news-server.wi.rr.com:

As was previously mentioned, dead hard drives are a great source of magnets. The older/larger, the better. 5 1/4" full height SCSI drives have the strongest magnets I've ever seen.

FWW just had an article about setting jointer knives. You can view the video at

Larry

I've disected HDDs and didn't find a magnet. How big is it and where is it located? Sorry to be a putz but I shot up some HDDs and when I got them apart, nothing found. They weren't so shot up that they were disintegrating so I wouldn't think that I lost them.

Reply to
C & E

RicodJour

try a couple rare earth magnets from Lee Valley, 1/8"x1/2" are plenty strong enough. attach them to something straight.

Reply to
beecrofter

If "long" = "powerful" then you can get some rare earth magnets from Woodcraft. I've used some of the 8mm variety for keeping box lids closed, and they are surprisingly strong.

Another option is Lee Valley[2]. LV has a "50-Piece Magnet Sampler"[3] that looks really interesting for $13.50.

[1]:
Michael Faurot

microwave magnetrons -- do be careful not to touch the big oil filled capacitor, a full charge can be enough to make flesh explode.

On that happy note, I'll think I'll just spend a couple of bucks ;-)

jc

Reply to
joe

disintegrating

Some REALLY OLD hd's do not have magnets. They have motors to move the heads in and out.

The normal ones use "voice coil" head positioning. These work like speakers that have a fixed magnet and a moving coil of wire. When current flows thru the wire the head moves in and out very quickly.

Most 1/3 height 5.5" drives have magnets with keepers like those in these pictures:

none of the above

Fine Woodworking web site shows a pair of jigs that you can make with

3 (6 total) ceramic magnets to set your jointer blade; you place all 3 magnets spaced apart on your jointer table, glue a piece of wood across the 3 with silicone adhesive. After the glue sets, the magnets are all in a plane. Place the jig so that one magnet is over the blade, the other 2 over the table. Make 2 of these to set the blade.

Sounds pretty simple and I am going to make my sets pretty soon.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

"Jim Weisgram" wrote

After reading your description, looking at the video was almost a waste of time! :)

Great idea ... thanks for the tip-off.

Reply to
Swingman