Where to buy magnets

Page 1 of 2
I need a couple of longish magnets to align the blades on my jointer. Where does one buy magnets this size? Does Home Depot have them?
I'd prefer not to buy the 40 dollar gizmo from Rockler, just plain magnets.
Thanks,
S.
samson wrote:

Just built a jig like that last week. You can find ceramic magnets at Lowe's, package of two for ~$2.25. Pretty darn strong, certainly more than enough power to lift a knife. They're 1" long.
Alternatively, try Radio Shack, although every store in my area (NC) seems to be out. Sears has ceramic magnets listed on their web site ("Skil" magnets), but I wasn't able to find them in the store.
Bas.
samson wrote:

When I'm looking for cheap magnets, I think Harbor Freight.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

More generally: When I'm looking for cheap <tool>, I think Harbor Freight.
Puckdropper
Mon, Mar 10, 2008, 8:13pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) More generally: doth sayeth: When I'm looking for cheap <tool>, I think Harbor Freight.
All depends on what you mean by cheap. I've bought welding magnets at HF for $2 each, on sale, regular price $4-5 each. And have seen the exact same magnet for sale at a welding supply company, same size, same color, same packaging even, priced at $18 each. You look close at small tools, up to an including bench saws, etc., and you'll see the same stuff HF is selling, at lower prices at HF. When I bought my wood lathes at HF, I paid $127. And saw the same lathe, different color, selling for up to $300. I have NO problems shopping at HF. But if all I wanted was magnets, there's plenty of places closer than HF I could buy 'em - Ace, Wally World, etc.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.

You don't have to buy long magnets, you can attach the magnet to a piece of steel, say a ruler from a combo square. I get magnets on eBay. You can get some rare earth magnets for pretty damn cheap.

I think what he wants to do is lay the long magnet on the outfeed table so it also contacts the blades. This would make the blade level with the outfeed table.
Not a bad idea. I wonder if you would have to first flatten the magnets.
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

Fine Woodworking web site shows a pair of jigs that you can make with 3 (6 total) ceramic magnets to set your jointer blade; you place all 3 magnets spaced apart on your jointer table, glue a piece of wood across the 3 with silicone adhesive. After the glue sets, the magnets are all in a plane. Place the jig so that one magnet is over the blade, the other 2 over the table. Make 2 of these to set the blade.
Sounds pretty simple and I am going to make my sets pretty soon.
"Jim Weisgram" wrote

After reading your description, looking at the video was almost a waste of time! :)
Great idea ... thanks for the tip-off.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

CB antenna bases are good sources of free strong magnets. So are old loudspeakers or microwave magnetrons -- do be careful not to touch the big oil filled capacitor, a full charge can be enough to make flesh explode.

microwave magnetrons -- do be careful not to touch the big oil filled capacitor, a full charge can be enough to make flesh explode.
On that happy note, I'll think I'll just spend a couple of bucks ;-)
jc

Let is sit for a month. It should leak off. Very educational to take one apart once it's dead. Magnetrons are just plain cool looking, 1950s retro, like a prop from Forbidden Planet. Just an empty can with two very strong ring magnets on either end, yet it cooks perfect rice in 25 minutes.
There's a HUGE high current low voltage transformer in there feeding the death ray. Don't fuck with it. It's even more lethal than the magnetron. Makes a nice bookend.
Don't bother putting the oven back together, because it's designed to die whenever a consumer does something amazingly stupid with a source of flesh-roasting em radiation, like opening it up.
RicodJour wrote:

I get my 1/2" R.E. magnets at the local hardware store for less than a buck apiece.
Tanus

IIRC, someone, or some magazine mentioned a year or few back, using "cow magnets" from local feed or ag store to align jointer blades. (Cow magnets are round, about 1/2"D by 2 or 2 1/2" long. They feed them to a cow to attract and hold any wire, etc. that may get ingested.)
Find an old dead hard drive and take it apart. They have NIB magnets that will give you a blister if they pinch your skin. If you have the old 5" full height drives, some have magnets that will pin YOU to the fridge.

I've disected HDDs and didn't find a magnet. How big is it and where is it located? Sorry to be a putz but I shot up some HDDs and when I got them apart, nothing found. They weren't so shot up that they were disintegrating so I wouldn't think that I lost them.

http://halogen.note.amherst.edu/~wing/wingie/tech/hdchime/hdchime.php

it
disintegrating
Some REALLY OLD hd's do not have magnets. They have motors to move the heads in and out.
The normal ones use "voice coil" head positioning. These work like speakers that have a fixed magnet and a moving coil of wire. When current flows thru the wire the head moves in and out very quickly.
Most 1/3 height 5.5" drives have magnets with keepers like those in these pictures: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-separate-the-Magnets-from-an-old-hard disk/

I have bought from K&J Magnets several time and have had great luck with them. They do have a website and you can GOOGLE for it. Their prices are great and the selection is awesome. Good luck, Dennis
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:45:54 -0600, samson wrote

http://www.kjmagnetics.com / I got some of their 'big' ones when they were on sale, still afraid to try and pull them off my filing cabinet 8^)
-Bruce