Where to buy Jummywood

Hi all,

I have a couple projects that I want to use Jummywood on, but where oh where do you guys buy this stuff? Hardwood dealers don't carry it. The borgs stock it but is expensive since it is S4S. I can buy rough sawn red oak for about the same price as the stuff! Where could I find some good ol' rough sawn Jumstock at a reasonable price?

Jums?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

I can buy it from a sawmill green for 60¢ a bd. ft. I just don't have the room to store it for a year or two to dry out..

I've use lumber from HD, Lowes, but the results are not always the best. It can cup or warp in hours. So, I went to a local lumberyard and bought some to make a bookcase to match an existing one. All I needed was two 1 x 10's to do the job. Cut the pieces to rough length and set them aside to finish the next day. Came back and three of the six were cupped.

I went to a hardwood dealer, Connecticut Hardwood Guild in Enfield.

Paid 2.95 for some 1" pine. They planed it to the thickness I wanted, cut a straight edge, then cut it to rough length so I could fit it into the trunk of my car. It is still perfectly straight. The bookcase is done and the leftover is still flat.

The planer they have is very nice. About 24" wide, it will do both sides at the same time. Punch in the desired thickness, feed in the wood, and one pass to take off a `1/4" or so. Looked like about a 25 HP motor on it. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Surprise Jums. I knew you were waiting for me to jump all over this one and make some smartass remark about buying it from a cheap firewood store or somesuch.

Naw. It's closer to what Ed said above. For cheap stuff hit your local borg and spend some time sorting through the junk. If you find some usable stuff, buy them out, take it home and sticker it, assuming it's wet. If you need some decent wide boards, go to a real lumber yard and buy the straight grained pine for fir. Nice stuff to work with.

mahalo, jo4hn

Frank Ketchum wrote:

Reply to
jo4hn

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Come by my place with a chainsaw. I got a buncha Jummy trees that need to be replaced with something less obnoxious.

Reply to
Silvan

Ok folks, for those of us who are not American and aren't familiar with this name, what is Jummy wood/tree in ordinary English? It seems to be a colloquial term. I haven't found anything useful via web searches.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Here you go Mike, everything you've ever wanted/didn't want to know about "Jummywood".

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Buy? What are you thinking. Crates and pallets. I am wondering how my band mill that uncle and I are building will do cutting some red pine from my property to test it.

Does anyone know how hard red pine / aka norway pine is? I was thinking of making some flooring from some.

I wonder what pallet shops pay for pine and poplar.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

We have a band mill and have cut some red pine. It wasnt that bad at all. Lots of water. Have you found woodweb?

Mark

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

No but assuming it is

I will look. Were you cutting the rp for yourself or others? What was the intended end use?

Thanks for the reply on this,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

It was brought to us, I dont know what the end product was. He wanted it cut 4/4 so I am assuing he was making 1x stock out of it.

Mark

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

Thanks for the web site. Learned about the grey/blue streaking I found in some test cuts I made. How did his wood look?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

The grey/blue you are talking about is iron tannate? Or something else? We fight with tannate alot with oak as the paint on our bunks has worn through. As well I move a lot of material on forks. The wood was nice, logs were very small and only a couple. He hauled them from NY or PA as I recall.

Mark

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

It is a blue stain in pine. I took a look at woodweb and ran into this

got my interest since I plan to cut some red pine on my land for personal use.

The woodweb site is a very interesting one. So far I've been reading in sawing and drying forum. Uncle and I hope to make a first test cut this week with the mill we are building.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:57:06 GMT, "Frank Ketchum" pixelated:

Like Silvan said, I have a tree you can take down for me at reasonable price. It's oregon pine ("jummywood" according to Phully) but we call it doug fir here.

Mikey's right. They're obnoxious. (Smell good, but leave pine sap/needles/cones EVERYWHERE.)

--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I am curious if the blue stain can be treated or if finishes change it a bit. Have to play with it a bit to see how it looks.

It is pretty cool that something you like isn't liked much by others. Seems like most things every one wants it.

FWIW, we did a couple of test cuts today with our band mill. We are using a 9.9 onan engine that was given to us with a spare needing work and v belt pulleys for band wheels. So far we have < 750 into this.

We need to work on blade alignment and get a lube system for blade. We cut two red pine logs today and the blade is coated on one side with pitch. What kind of mix do you use? We were told to try pinesol and water.

Wes

Reply to
clutch