porter-cable router not powering up

Somebody might be willing to sell me a Porter-Cable 7529 plunge router for CHEAP, the only problem is it won't turn on for them. They say everything else is fine, it just doesn't power on.

I called a Porter-Cable service center, and other than suggesting I save for a beefier model (which I wouldn't be able to afford for another seven or eight months....), he said that 99% of the time all it takes is tightening a screw and blowing out the connectors, and it's really just fine.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I know, you get what you pay for...but there's an exception to every rule...

david

Reply to
D K Woods

It might need a power cord, or brushes, switch. If you can do some basic electrical tests, you will be able to pinpoint the problem. I am not an expert myself, but usually I can get them working again. Sometimes I get burned, but in your case you can sell the parts!

Reply to
ToolMiser

Buy a cheap ohmmeter (one of the functions of a multimeter) at Home Depot or elsewhere if you want to buy tools that don't power up. Then you can check out switches, windings, power cords, etc. You can find not only opens (no contact) but shorts as well. Stay away from most stuff with shorts as it can be dangerous and shorts are usually not cheap repairs (shorts in motor windings for example). BTW--For resistance checks with an ohmmeter, you DON'T power up the tools in any way...the ohmmeter supplies its own power, usually just 1.5v (from a battery).

Reply to
George

No experience, but isn't the 7529 the model PC has had a lot of trouble with the speed regulator circuit going to pot? This may have nothing to do with it not running at all, but might be something to look into. Nahmie

Reply to
Norman D. Crow